Oxygen Clean Tank Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Most tank valves nowadays are considered to be good for Nitrox up to 40%

Does this mean that it is using viton o rings?

If so.... Disassembling , degreasing, relubing with oxygen compliant lube... will the tank valve be "oxygen clean" for partial pressure mixing? and if the cylinder is oxygen cleaned.. be good enough for 100% oxygen deco bottle?

and what about the angles and direction of the passages within the valve

Dive gear express covers this pretty well through a few articles. This is a good place to start:

Considering most places dump 100% O2 into the tank then top off with air for partial pressure blending NITROX all your valves on NITROX tanks should be "O2 cleaned". Of course as soon as you hookup your non o2 clean regulator to it, it's no longer considered "O2 cleaned", but people are not blowing up left and right so most people call it "good enough".

ah ok let me rephrase. im not asking everyone if

40% Nitrox Ready bnew valves can be used with 100% oxygen

What im asking is Bnew 40% Nitrox ready valves.....

When taken apart.... with their viton orings, washed in an ultrasonic cleaner with simple green, lubed with oxygen compliant grease, turns it into a 100% oxygen clean valve.

According to DGX, oxygen clean valve have a different finish and a different thread pitch to make the opening slower.

When taken apart.... with their viton orings, washed in an ultrasonic cleaner with simple green, lubed with oxygen compliant grease, turns it into a 100% oxygen clean valve.
I use Thermo valves and I do not bother taking a brand new valve apart and doing anything with it. The Thermo valves ship sealed in plastic and will likely never be as clean as they are when you remove them from the plastic. I install the dip tube and put the valve on the cylinder. I O2 clean and rebuild valves with the Thermo parts kits...which are the same parts used when it was new.

"Thermo brand uses oxygen compatible materials and when sealed in the original factory packaging is also free of organic and particle contamination."

According to DGX, oxygen clean valve have a different finish and a different thread pitch to make the opening slower.
ah yes.. im aware of this.. but in the absence of a "green colored" valve for oxygen..

Doing all that to any valve will make it O2 clean-ish. You can verify contamination status in a few different ways, but that is pretty much the process for O2 cleaning something.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom