Oxygen Clean Tank Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A shop that doesn’t get at the very least an annual test shouldn’t be operating imo

We had one in my town a number of years ago that was found operating with terrible results

They’re out of business now but there is no oversight or regulation for dive shop air quality

There are VERY few shops in Florida that are getting tested as it’s not a legal requirement. I think if you get gas from a shop that doesn’t test their gas, you’re an idiot.

Not to be rude but if you’re a certified gas blender and you don’t know the answers to the questions you’re asking then your course was exceptionally lacking. This is all part of a good quality blender course.
hi, yes i certified as a gas blender..... this is the scuba side of things... as we all know... the science side differs quite as much..

secondly... oxygen cleaning is another course.... which i have yet to take... but would like to ask in advance since im already making nitrox

I still need VIP and Regulator maintenance to get to oxygen cleaning . thank you

hi, yes i certified as a gas blender..... this is the scuba side of things... as we all know... the science side differs quite as much..

secondly... oxygen cleaning is another course.... which i have yet to take... but would like to ask in advance since im already making nitrox

I still need VIP and Regulator maintenance to get to oxygen cleaning . thank you
I have both certs. In both courses these basics about oxygen handling were discussed as were they in the courses my buddies took. To not at least discuss these things as part of the oxygen handling portion of the course is ridiculous.
If you’re being taught to pp fill tanks, there needs to be some discussion on what is safe when pumping oxygen. You’re the first person I have personally heard that did not have a discussion about it during the course.
The science side and the scuba side go hand in hand. If you’re learning about adiabatic heat generation when decanting oxygen, a source of ignition should be discussed (unclean tanks for one)
Imo if someone is being taught to handle oxygen, the risk factors and how to protect yourself should be part of it. Not just part of the vip course

I spent years working offshore in various places. Some of you guys would shiat a squealy worm if you saw what the the welders, riggers, tenders and deck hands did with O2.

I have both certs. In both courses these basics about oxygen handling were discussed as were they in the courses my buddies took. To not at least discuss these things as part of the oxygen handling portion of the course is ridiculous.
If you’re being taught to pp fill tanks, there needs to be some discussion on what is safe when pumping oxygen. You’re the first person I have personally heard that did not have a discussion about it during the course.
The science side and the scuba side go hand in hand. If you’re learning about adiabatic heat generation when decanting oxygen, a source of ignition should be discussed (unclean tanks for one)
Imo if someone is being taught to handle oxygen, the risk factors and how to protect yourself should be part of it. Not just part of the vip course

yes it was discussed to me... the filling and the safety on oxygen.

but he stopped short on discussning Oxygen cleaning.

as of the present i do have oxygen clean tanks not done by me. by someone certified,

coupled with the fact that .... after you PP blend... you just introduced an air fill whip that isnt oxygen cleaned.

as the original poster....

I would like to ask if , is it the same with everyone... i assume is not....

a bnew nitrox ready valve.....good for 40% , when oxygen cleaned by, taking the tank valve apart, washing with simple green and ultrasonic cleaning. while greasing the original viton orings with chrystalube or something similar.

would be enough to be considered oxygen clean.

No.. oxygen cleaning was not discussed in Nitrox Blending or the process of it.. I will take the course in the future though... after im done with vip and regulator maintenance.

Sigh……

a bnew nitrox ready valve.....good for 40% , when oxygen cleaned by, taking the tank valve apart, washing with simple green and ultrasonic cleaning. while greasing the original viton orings with chrystalube or something similar.
I've been following this thread, trying to learn about oxygen. (I've got a copy of Oxygen Hacker's Companion, but always learning.)

First question: I'm not familiar with the term "bnew" that you have used a number of times. I Googled it and found nothing that seems to fit. From context, I suspect it refers to a product fresh from the manufacturer. Is that correct?

Second question: If that's the definition, then doesn't the manufacturer's statement accompanying a fresh-from-the-manufacturer valve that the valve is "nitrox-ready ... good for 40%" (but which we know really means "as ready as possible for oxygen use given the inherent limitations of the mechanical design") mean that that valve needs no further cleaning, lubing, etc., to be used with oxygen because the manufacturer provides it in a clean and O2-compatibly lubed state?

I spent years working offshore in various places. Some of you guys would shiat a squealy worm if you saw what the the welders, riggers, tenders and deck hands did with O2.
Have you ever seen an Oxygen distributor fill a K-Bottle from the whip? 240cu’ in about a minute.

Talk to the guy that builds Masterline boosters. They make boosters that regularly pump to 4500+. He laughs when he has to turn down capacity for the scuba industry.

I've been following this thread, trying to learn about oxygen. (I've got a copy of Oxygen Hacker's Companion, but always learning.)

First question: I'm not familiar with the term "bnew" that you have used a number of times. I Googled it and found nothing that seems to fit. From context, I suspect it refers to a product fresh from the manufacturer. Is that correct?

Second question: If that's the definition, then doesn't the manufacturer's statement accompanying a fresh-from-the-manufacturer valve that the valve is "nitrox-ready ... good for 40%" (but which we know really means "as ready as possible for oxygen use given the inherent limitations of the mechanical design") mean that that valve needs no further cleaning, lubing, etc., to be used with oxygen because the manufacturer provides it in a clean and O2-compatibly lubed state?
Again…. And again… and again, the valve is fine right out of the bag, even if you hooked it to an air whip and ran oca air through. Very likely even if you ran Grade E air through it. Jesus! Help me.

Have you ever seen an Oxygen distributor fill a K-Bottle from the whip? 240cu’ in about a minute.

Talk to the guy that builds Masterline boosters. They make boosters that regularly pump to 4500+. He laughs when he has to turn down capacity for the scuba industry.
It was definitely an interesting conversation I had with him 6 years ago when I bought mine. I agree divers as a whole are deathly afraid of dealing with oxygen, when the reality is its a moderately overblown issue. I have employees that handle oxygen everyday. Really the only training they get is dont crank the bottle on as fast as you can. We're still alive.
I just can't wrap my head around this stuff not being discussed in a class.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom