O-ring tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gfisher4792

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding my save-a-dive kit, and I'm curious what other people use for changing o-rings. I've heard dentist picks work well, but would like some other suggestions. Thanks.

I use old dental picks,
told my dentist what I was looking for, he gave me two, they were throwing out.

The price was right.
They work great.

Mike D

<Really hoping O-ring doesnt come along and decide to tell us about his "tool">

gfisher4792 once bubbled...
I'm rebuilding my save-a-dive kit, and I'm curious what other people use for changing o-rings. I've heard dentist picks work well, but would like some other suggestions. Thanks.

I use a small set of O-ring picks from an auto parts store. Had four different picks, and came in their own carrying case for a reasonable cost.

Cave Diver once bubbled...
<Really hoping O-ring doesnt come along and decide to tell us about his "tool">

Oh come on!!! Don't spoil the fun for us! Want to tell us about yours? LOL

Seriously, I have use a travel dental pick - comes in a small plastic container & is a bit heavier duty.:wink:

kjunheart once bubbled...

Oh come on!!! Don't spoil the fun for us! Want to tell us about yours? LOL

I already did, see the previous post.

Next you'll be wanting me to show it to ya! :wink:

Finger nail and plastic toothpick are my perfered o-ring tools. They are not going to leave any scratches that can be real problems. If I have to use a pick, I like the ones with the hook shaped ends that can be inserted next to the ring and twisted very carefully to slip under the o-ring. If done right, even the o-ring can usually be saved.

Brass is the preferred material for metal o-ring picks. You can buy them for $9 a set from Peterbilt or if you have nothing but time, buy some 1/8" brass rod stock from somewhere and file the ends to points. It is NOT URT to use the bench grinder for non-ferrous metals :) .
Neil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom