O.K., which manufactuers make crap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the nice things about being the webmaster of your own site is you can see where the traffic is coming from and try to get a word in edgewise...

My name is Ben Mazin - I am the designer of Jetboots. I think a little defense of our product is in order.

What makes you think Jetboots are a bad/dangerous product? I am confident that I can answer any questions or concerns you might have.

Jetboots are certainly new and unique, but every single diver, including a lot of the So Cal DIR crowd, Divetek in Kona, and some military divers have had their socks knocked off when they saw Jetboots in action. I'll agree that they are not perfect for every situation, notably caves and wreck penetrations, where people are better off using a system they are familiar with. For general purpose propulsion, especially when you need your hands (say, for photography), nothing can do what Jetboots do. Other advantages:

* Lightweight (22 lbs vs. 50+ for conventional scooters) with the same power & longevity as a standard scooter due to NiMH batteries. We are also currently working on a Li-Ion battery that will weight the same amount but last ~70-80 minutes at full speed.

* Fits in an airline carry on - how many of you scooter owners take your scooter on vacation with you? I do.

*Excellent cold water performance due to NiMH batteries (can be up to 3x better in the cold than lead acid)

* In case of problems the battery pack can be disconnected or ditched underwater - this elimates some of the most dangerous failure modes of a standard scooter

* No prop wash on your body, nothing blocking your forward view

* Extremely manueverable, fully variable speed control

* Cables are thin and can be strapped down to the body presenting a very low risk of entanglement. I've gone through some pretty thick kelp with them with no problem.

* Jetboots are all hard annodized aircraft aluminum, carbon fiber, etc. - they are extremely robust

* They are an unbelievably fun to use

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Ben Mazin
President, MST
http://www.jetboots.com/

We had a HUB in our local dive shop for about 2 years ended up being bought below cost and all the customer wanted was the regs and computer. What a waste of a good engineer designing this thing.

HUB

AirII

Spare Air

Will agree on Air Buddy and Jet Boots

Dacor

Sherwood

:jester:

I wouldn't be surprised if Eric was struck by a bolt of lightning just now...

:doctor:
Hey your Jetboots look funky. they would be ok for paras who dive I guess.

What about the SCUDA (self contained underwater drinking apparatus) A special mouth piece that has a hose coming to it from a small water sack. The idea to give you something to drink while diving. Why is this a bad idea - because both times I've seen one - the divers had something other than water in it.

I also am not crazy on the Apollo reg with the moisture capsule. Every time you breath on it you get a spray of water down your throat.

Force Fins - yeh let the company rep run accross the parking lot while wearing them - who cares I wear fins while diving not running

Hmmmm.... I YIKE EM! (thinking of all the cool tricks I coud do under water). Move over SPIDERMAN! Look ma... no need for gators!

Hey GDI

I take it you didn't actually try the Force fins on a dive then, cos if you did, you'd own a pair

I've swapped to them after 27 years of jet fin use. Dont plan to go back. They provide as much (if not more) thrust in the water, are much easier on the legs and thighs. The ability to move on a boat while wearing them and the ease of doffing and donning are bonuses

US Navy seems to like em too

They take about 10 dives to get used to, they require a smaller and faster kick. Work well for frogging and other finnning styles.

Only drawbacks are they seem to put quite a downward jet as you kick (which if your a bottom hugger like me can stir up the vis, I just bend knees and fin from my ankles) and you look like a duck out of water

They are so comforatble and easy to wear I lately keep finding I forget to take em off when I get back in the boat and, after dumping my yellow box and going to grab some tea still have em on!!!!. Its also easier to stick em on before you kit up, so there is no fumpling for fins and straps when your fully loaded with twins and stages

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom