Nusa Penida, Bali accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JETS divers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
An Indonesian newspaper (The Jakarta Post) has a report of a diving accident at Nusa Penida that resulted in the 'departure' of a Japanese citizen. Details are sketchy. Does anyone have any more information from a credible source?

Hi Desmond!
Post #48 in this thread in the forum on finsonline.com gives some more details. Doesn't sound too good...

This is terrible news. I would like to know what does one have to go through to go on a true DSD in the open ocean. Around here, the only DSD I have ever heard of have been in the confined waters of a pool and all you need to initially sign up is a pulse (and a certain age or a guardian). From there, there is some basic explanations and skills discussions and then you don gear and "jump in". Is this normal for an OW DSD in 40+ feet of water? I am somewhat blown away that DSD can be done that deep. Even an OW student cannot do that dive until they have covered the first sections of the classroom and confined water dives. Again, I am just surprised about this because it is not the norm that I am used to.

Also, does anybody know if these two were truly on a DSD? The poster does not mention sdeeing the instructor but just the couple holding hands. Maybe this was just a literary oversight or, one needs to ask where the instructor was.

It is common to do DSD in < 10 meters near shore in South East Asia for tourists.

I was an AOW diver with < 30 dives when I visited Bali 2 years ago on a sightseeing trip, I decided to fit in 2 dives. So I called up a LDS to check on which dive sites are nearer to where I stay and worth diving. I was told the nearest would be Nusa Dua(10 mins by car, dive site is near shore), which is not a very popular dive site and not much too see compare to other sites which are further (> 1 hours by car at least), or Nusa Penida. Nusa Penida is >1hour by boat with good chances to see Mantas and Mola Mola. It was tempting but later I was asked if I was an 'experienced' diver cos Nusa Penida are know for its treacherous currents and the DM told me its can be like in a washing machine. With under 30 dives under my belt back then, I was not confident to dive there having previously dove in strong currents sites before,so I chose to a easier to dive location.

I would not recommend Nusa Penida for a less experienced diver. If its true the deceased was doing DSD, why on earth the DM taking them there knowing Nusa Penida are known with strong currents.

It is utterly ridiculous taking people to do DSD at Nusa Penida, if that was the case. On my profile I wrote: dive hear, learn somewhere else (another country). This tragedy simply confirms my fears. Although since I wrote that comment I have found a good dive center in Bali where I did my RD course.

Does anyone know who the Op is, I'll have to know not to use them when I visit Bali next year.

Steve I did 3 dives on my Discover Scuba in the Caribbean before certifying. Pretty much as you described, except the quick explanations were on a dive boat, then to 40 ft. My third not-certified dive over two days was to 100 ft. Wrong, but happens a lot.

Man did I ever take the wrong DSD.....or maybe I signed up too early. I was not even out of the gear (in the pool) before I was signing up. Kind of like putting out on the first date isn't it?

It is terrible that this would happen but knowing that this happens, I am surprised it does not happen more often. Maybe the agencies will come around to agree that a shallower limit on DSD may not be a bad idea. Maybe not. No matter what it does not help this gentleman and that is sad.

Agencies don't enforce anything to my knowledge. I can give you series examples of rules they fail to enforce, but not here.

Maybe I am incorrect in my thinking. Obviously, I am aware that the agencies do not enforce anything. However, do they not define the acceptable "specifications" for which a DSD can be done. By this I mean that a DSD can be done up to a depth of <insert any number here>? I thought that was what they issued and they expected that the shops would follow that. If this is the case, then my original statement holds true for me. My point was that in my opinion, they should look at tightening up that specification and making the allowable dives shallower. At least their butt would be covered when "Joe Blow Dive Shop" decided to break it and take someone to 100' (which I know would still happen). Just my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom