Unknown Bali Diving Fatality

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DownUnderwater Dan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives

I was reading local Indonesian news stories this evening, when I came across this unfortunate diving incident this morning that resulted in the fatality of a 57 year old French man in Bali, at the SD Point dive site in Nusa Penida.

Feel free to translate the story. From my understanding is that 4 divers and DM made dive, after 40 minutes all divers surfaced. The deceased diver was observed getting onto boat in a weak condition, then received oxygen and "breathing assistance", but no response, only blood and foam exiting his mouth.

Not sure if anyone dived Bali this morning, but I looked at tide charts, and at 09:15am the tide was rising at a rate of 0.5m an hour, not saying this may of increased the currents for the dive, or if this was a factor, just an observation.

I was reading local Indonesian news stories this evening, when I came across this unfortunate diving incident this morning that resulted in the fatality of a 57 year old French man in Bali, at the SD Point dive site in Nusa Penida.

Feel free to translate the story. From my understanding is that 4 divers and DM made dive, after 40 minutes all divers surfaced. The deceased diver was observed getting onto boat in a weak condition, then received oxygen and "breathing assistance", but no response, only blood and foam exiting his mouth.

Not sure if anyone dived Bali this morning, but I looked at tide charts, and at 09:15am the tide was rising at a rate of 0.5m an hour, not saying this may of increased the currents for the dive, or if this was a factor, just an observation.

I also read the translated story; seems that the victim climbed *back* aboard a boat which they were not diving from.....regardless, based on the "facts" provided, it sounds like the victim suffered some type of medical emergency underwater - which could have been exacerbated by the ascent from depth.

This is presuming that the victim stayed with the guided group for the duration of the dive. And nobody besides the victim truly knows the answer to that. In some countries there are steep walls which take people way past the limits they should be adhering to. I'm sure most of them exceed those limits unknowingly (at first) and by the time they realize, its too late.

Between narcosis and CNS oxygen toxicity, the risks on OC scuba are all too real.

There's another article with more details, but cause of death yet unknown.

It says that the deceased diver was on a dive boat with a group. The captain of the deceased diver's boat, 40 minutes into dive, observed 5 divers surface and board another nearby dive boat, from a different company. 5 minutes after that, he witnessed another 5 divers surface and board the other dive boat.

He was then contacted by the other boat captain that the deceased diver's boat guests were on his dive boat. And the captain went to the other boat and transferred the casualty onto his boat, and went to Toyapakeh to medical clinic, but was declared dead on arrival following doctor's examination.

My condolences to all involved 😞 🙏🏼

Back
Top Bottom