Nudibranch Lovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice sampling from the Pacific North West.

Who would think that pretty frilly Rainbow Nudibrachs (Dendronotis iris) were such vicious predators?

Jodylynn007's video shows them striking at prey?

Yep, that video was all taken from ONE DIVE too!!! :D I normally shoot stills, but had set my camera up for video as I had thought we were diving with sea lions that day. I just went with the flow... literally... (it was quite the drift dive over nudibranch land).

I've been meaning to get back to BC for some diving for a while now, seems like every time I'm there I end up at Whistler.

Here is a shot of a Rainbow Nudibranch laying eggs from Catalina Is. CA. Interesting that the California Dendronotis iris tend to be maroon in color while the northern ones are white? Same species?

Rainbow Nudibranch laying eggs 1.jpg

These species are repeats, but some new pictures from last weekend.

Golden Dirona:
goldendirona.jpg

Giant Nudibranchs -- My strobe was dead at this point, so I used my canister light. I don't remember if this was 2 or 3 different individuals (There were many, but a lot of the pictures didn't turn out), but the subtle differences in colours were pretty noticeable and interesting on individuals in a small area. For example, look for the yellow bands on the second image that aren't present on the other two.
giantnudibranch3.jpg
giantnudibranch2.jpg
giantnudibranch.jpg

There were egg masses ( http://dive.roko.ca/wp-content/gallery/131110-whytecliff/nudieggs.jpg ) in the area as well.

Found this guy on Sunday -- Very small, less than 1cm in length. Not 100% sure on the species, there are a few in my book that resemble it, and this is the only angle I got. - The dark gills separate it from the Red Gilled Nudibranchs I've posted before.

img_0001_02.jpg

That moment when you pull the photos up in your editing program only to realize that cool nudi is just a fireworm. :(

Back
Top Bottom