Now it's time to choose a wrist computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many people have we seen who bought cheaper computers that turned out to be hard to read, hard to use, and then ended up buying something better?

I always have a good chuckle at the people who bought a Shearwater and then sell it, saying it does too much. Really? You don’t like having a computer that’s easier to read and easier to use? My first computer was a Geo 2.0. Crappy interface and hard to read in my local conditions. Shearwater AI came out late 2016? I got one after I’d been diving about a year. Display and interface were lightning years better.

I was in a similar situation, but the exact opposite.

I started out diving with the Atomic Cobalt. Seemed like a smart buy at the time. Nothing to lose as its tethered, no wireless to fiddle with, and Atomic is the best at everything...... right????? :rolleyes:

So after buying not one, but two of them (one for my wife). After about 100 dives of dragging that brick along the reef floor on some sort of Christmas tree tether I began to streamline my kit. Around the same time I wanted to take AN/DP. Bought my first Perdix AI.

Then a second.

Then a Teric for my wife.

So I cried like five times. :(

500 dives later, they are still running strong.

For rec diving, a backup Perdix rigs up nicely with some shock cord to loop onto your two inch web harness. It's nicely out of view and snugs up well to the harness. I never take it off my kit unless I'm doing dives where I must have two computers.

I was in a similar situation, but the exact opposite.

I started out diving with the Atomic Cobalt. Seemed like a smart buy at the time. Nothing to lose as its tethered, no wireless to fiddle with, and Atomic is the best at everything...... right????? :rolleyes:

So after buying not one, but two of them (one for my wife). After about 100 dives of dragging that brick along the reef floor on some sort of Christmas tree tether I began to streamline my kit. Around the same time I wanted to take AN/DP. Bought my first Perdix AI.

Then a second.

Then a Teric for my wife.

So I cried like five times. :(

500 dives later, they are still running strong.

For rec diving, a backup Perdix rigs up nicely with some shock cord to loop onto your two inch web harness. It's nicely out of view and snugs up well to the harness. I never take it off my kit unless I'm doing dives where I must have two computers.

My rec and tech diving kit are almost exactly alike. I always have a Perdix AI on each forearm. The only major difference might be tanks.

Many people dive with two computers. I have never had one fail but I run solo a bit.
I run a mk1 and mk2i most of the time and sometimes the mk2 and a Teric.

I use two computers and yes, I had a failure on a three tank dive and was three days into a trip with several more days to go. I would generally prefer the computers be the same or same algorythem but I currently have a new Perigrine (which is fantastic) and a Subsea (Pelagic Systems). The Pelagic is quite liberal and the Shearwater is very flexible. It is set more conservative, that way my back up never gets unhappy with me but it is still there in case. I am about to replace my backup because it is old. I will probably get another Peregrine or the Perdix. Not sure really. My backup does not have to be as good as my main, it just needs to be useable if I were to end up on it alone. And as an aside, I have no interest in nor use for AI. I have seen a number of computer failures, some were AI related, some were the unit itself, some were very old, some were brand new. Computers do fail.

James

I definitely enjoy AI and I don't see ever going back to basic SPG with all the additional benefits that AI can offer.

Yes they can and is why I carry a backup. But luckily none of my computers ever have had issues.
Each to their on. These threads include opinion and that is mine, I much prefer a spg. I do not like being flooded with numbers and information, it is distracting from the dive to me without getting into the reliability argument. If somebody wants that function, I would not dissuade them.

James

...the Atomic Cobalt. After about 100 dives of dragging that brick along the reef floor on some sort of Christmas tree tether I began to streamline my kit.
It looks like it needs its own air hose? Aw man... I see what you mean. That really would be awkward. I definitely prefer mine on my wrist and when we add backups, we'll put them on the console.

I use two computers and yes, I had a failure on a three tank dive and was three days into a trip with several more days to go. I would generally prefer the computers be the same or same algorythem but I currently have a new Perigrine (which is fantastic) and a Subsea (Pelagic Systems). The Pelagic is quite liberal and the Shearwater is very flexible. It is set more conservative, that way my back up never gets unhappy with me but it is still there in case. I am about to replace my backup because it is old. I will probably get another Peregrine or the Perdix. Not sure really. My backup does not have to be as good as my main, it just needs to be useable if I were to end up on it alone. And as an aside, I have no interest in nor use for AI. I have seen a number of computer failures, some were AI related, some were the unit itself, some were very old, some were brand new. Computers do fail.

James
Thank you James. I can definitely see the need for a backup for diving like you describe. I can see adding that equipment when that time comes. And I'm with you on the hesitation for AI. I certainly see the benefit and it's no wonder why it has basically taken over the market. But it's another link in the chain that I don't feel like adding. And... it just now occurs to me sense we're talking about back computers, wouldn't that mean there would have to be two TX on the 1st stage? Is that practical?

It looks like it needs its own air hose? Aw man... I see what you mean. That really would be awkward. I definitely prefer mine on my wrist and when we add backups, we'll put them on the console.

Thank you James. I can definitely see the need for a backup for diving like you describe. I can see adding that equipment when that time comes. And I'm with you on the hesitation for AI. I certainly see the benefit and it's no wonder why it has basically taken over the market. But it's another link in the chain that I don't feel like adding. And... it just now occurs to me sense we're talking about back computers, wouldn't that mean there would have to be two TX on the 1st stage? Is that practical?

I am not hesitent on AI. It works sufficiently for even technical applications (?maybe). I just do not need or want the additional functions.

If you wanted to run two computers and want AI, you would probably want just one transmitter. Maybe make one without AI. But as I understand, both computers could sync to the one transmitter. Of course if the AI tx fails, battery goes TU or whatever, well, then you need a mechanical spg or end the dive. Or have two transmitters. Me, I made it simple for me and chose one side of the fence to get on and it is the non-AI side, lol, :wink:.

I am not an expert, just giving an opinion based on my experiences. Here is how I roll, two computers on left arm and a dive watch which I do use! My compass is peaking out behind the arm on my right wrist and my mechanical spg on my left hip D-ring. Simple, clean, functional and flexible:

I fully agree that there are other ways to be simple, clean, functional and flexible.

James

AI has not taken over the market. SPG is still by far the preferred method.
I wear one computer each on my forearm so if one of the hand is busy. I can still glance at the other one.
Personal preference only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom