Now it's time to choose a wrist computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many people have we seen who bought cheaper computers that turned out to be hard to read, hard to use, and then ended up buying something better?
Speak for myself only!
Same 25 yr old Uwatec with a 10 yrs old Oceanic(more liberal) as back up.
NO complaint on the cheap Oceanic whatsoever.
There are plenty cheap and reliable dive computers around.
I have never ever seen any local dive guide in SE Asia using SW!!! Unless they have been using it from mid 2020 because I have not been able to go diving since.

"Lock out"!!! If you understood your dive computer and its limitation, this should never ever happen. Unfortunately, there are so many divers who simply did not understand, careless etc etc.
Computer does not suffer DCS only diver does.

Computer does not suffer DCS only diver does.
Not true, I have bent my zoop hundreds of times, not so much for me.

*Disclaimer. It was a backup computer in my pocket. Not the one being actively used.

How many people have we seen who bought cheaper computers that turned out to be hard to read, hard to use, and then ended up buying something better?
There will always be crap that is cheap or expensive and many make uninformed decisions. However, there is also high quality at a lower price point too.

Not true, I have bent my zoop hundreds of times, not so much for me.

*Disclaimer. It was a backup computer in my pocket. Not the one being actively used.
Surely not DCS!
You have to dive with both computers.
Unfortunately some divers do keep the back up on land and use it if the other one failed!! Do they really understand the meaning of ndl?

That's one of the nice things about the Shearwater tissue loading graph. You can get a pretty good idea about how fast the various compartments clear in case you're ever faced with a decision as to whether and for how long you might need to sit out before returning to the water.

Garmin's have that as well along with an overall percentage read out on the surface interval screens.

Many dive computers have a dive plan setting so it can help you with a similar decision if you need it.

I have a few narrowed down that are in my price range.
I can tell the Shearwater Peregrine is very popular but more than I wanna spend.
The Deep 6 seems like the face is rather small. Almost looks to be the size of a standard watch.
I can pick up localy an Oceanic Veo 4, Scubapro Aladin 1 or Sherwood Amphos 2.0.
I'm also looking at a bargain model, the Cressi Giotto with PC Download kit for $260.
If you go with the amphos keep in mind that the download cable will cost over $100. I believe the Oceanic uses the same cable. Personally I’m looking at a new computer because I ont want to have to keep replacing a ‘cheap’ $100 download cable.

If you go with the amphos keep in mind that the download cable will cost over $100. I believe the Oceanic uses the same cable. Personally I’m looking at a new computer because I ont want to have to keep replacing a ‘cheap’ $100 download cable.
I noticed that myself but thank you for the heads up. I ended up choosing the Seac Screen. It came with the download cable and it seems to be everything that a beginner needs. It's very intuitive. It was easy to navigate and set up right out of the box without reading owners manual. I'm hard pressed to see anything worth noting that the Peregrine can do that the Seac Screen doesn't. Anything that would matter to an brand new recreational diver that is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom