Now it's time to choose a wrist computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have corresponded a few times with Shearwater, to make sure I understand my Teric.

When you set the GF high, it takes into account the ascent, at the normal rate, but does not take into account any safety stop. That is because, the safety stop is not required. So, if you start your normal ascent, just before you go into deco, and proceed directly to the surface, you will be near your GF high. If you stop for any SS, you will surface below your GF high.

SurfGF reflects an instantaneous surfacing and does not reflect the ascent or a saftey stop. Your final surfacing GF will reflect both of these. My final ascent from the SS is generally over about a minute, the Surf GF and surfacing GF are close at this point.

This is a dive that I have previously posted DSAT vs GF high 95, examples This dive was on my Teric at 80/95 using 32%. Dive time was 54 min, max depth 107 feet, avg depth 73 feet. It resulted in 1 min of deco at 10 feet. The orange line is the real GF, GF99. The very short deco cleared on ascent at about 35 feet. The GF99 did not start to increase until about 30 feet, 8%. At the safety stop the GF99 went from 45 to 32%. My SurfGF was 80%. My surfacing GF was 79%. The big bump in the GF99 on final ascent is nicely shown here. Yes, it was an overly slow ascent on a down line in very brisk current. Personally, I have learned quite a bit from looking at my Teric log on the Shearwater Cloud. I wish SurfGF could be tracked and displayed.

View attachment 698307
That dive profile looks familiar. Was it at La Ferrateria, Malpelo?

That dive profile looks familiar. Was it at La Ferrateria, Malpelo?
Hi @Dan, no it was a dive on the Castor in Boynton Beach on Sept 16 of last year.

Have a great time in Bonaire, see you in March

I've been told over and over that "it's up to me" in several different ways. That much has been obvious right along. And I never really have been asking for absolutes or for somebody to tell me what to do anyway.

The trouble is that you are not really in a position to make an informed choice. All you have to go on is the various opinions of faceless people on the internet. The majority of those opinions are based on fashion, hearsay and guessing based on observed behaviour of computers.

For relatively shallow no stop dives I use the equivalent of your L0, maybe L1 if a long way from a chamber. For half serious deco dives I use an equivalent to L1.
Thanks for understanding my predicament. I'm only hoping to hear what decisions somebody else would make in scenarios that I describe. I take those opinions and ideas and pass them through my BS filter never forgetting that everything I hear has a certain amount of bias to it. Then I make my own decisions.

I'm glad I asked for opinions on conservatism level setting. Not knowing any better, I had mine set higher than practical. Now that I have a better reference for computers with custom settings, instead of L4, I'll start of with L2 and adjust from there.

I know OP said he wanted an entry level dive computer.
The following thoughts are for those currently interested in a dive computer and are open to advanced models.

As a recreational diver who was learning what all the tec dive functions on m my perdix, I found myself delving deeper into gradient factors, deeper first stops vs longer shallower stops, effect of SurfGf on my dives, ndl +5 , etc etc.

I was adamant about knowing what reach function meant and entailed.

I'd actually inadvertently ventured into tec diving literature.

A few years later, I started my tec dive learning.

Hi @Dan, no it was a dive on the Castor in Boynton Beach on Sept 16 of last year.

Have a great time in Bonaire, see you in March
Unfortunately Bonaire trip is postponed to later time. There are too many signs telling me that I shouldn’t go:
1. Flight fares jumped up to $1000 with no availability of nonstop flights for Houston- Bonaire.
2. The recent Covid spikes, there & here (my nephew and a couple of my cycling buddies got Covid) raised my concerns of contracting Covid before or during the trip & getting stuck there until I tested negative. I’ve been pushing my luck since December 2020 by traveling and diving overseas about 10 times, getting negative Covid tested for about 17 times. With a more contagious Omicron, although, milder (my nephew just got a cold, sore throat and a mild cough, my cycling buddies were asymptomatic & continue cycling on their own), it’ll still be a pain to be quarantined abroad.

For Tiger Beach in March, I’m not worried about it as we only need to fly to West Palm Beach and no Covid test needed to be on the boat and flying back home as it’ll be a domestic flight.

I noticed that myself but thank you for the heads up. I ended up choosing the Seac Screen. It came with the download cable and it seems to be everything that a beginner needs. It's very intuitive. It was easy to navigate and set up right out of the box without reading owners manual. I'm hard pressed to see anything worth noting that the Peregrine can do that the Seac Screen doesn't. Anything that would matter to an brand new recreational diver that is.
I just got a Seac Screen and can't seem to get the cable connection to work ... was there anything tricky about it that I might be missing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom