Now it's time to choose a wrist computer.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it's a commonly held belief here. Whether it's true or not is up for debate (or "personal opinion" as you put it), but a main reason people recommend shearwater and the deep 6 computer is that the algorithm is well known, understood, and open source.
That's fine. I'm not looking to debate it at all. I don't know enough to do so anyway. I'm just curious what the basic opinion is. Is the RGBM algorithm out of date and inaccurate?
So it's the ZHL-16C algorithm that is recommended then? It looks like two on my list would satisfy that wish if it was important. I wonder how much it is though for people that do conservative non-decompression diving.

I would think about how much night diving you do to. An LED display is much nicer for that than a backlit LCD (having just switched, I really noticed it). Alas, I don't know of many economical choices with LED (colour) screens. Maybe the Atmos mission one, if the firmware issues are sorted out.

I'm just curious what the basic opinion is. Is the RGBM algorithm out of date and inaccurate?
So it's the ZHL-16C algorithm that is recommended then? It looks like two on my list would satisfy that wish if it was important. I wonder how much it is though for people that do conservative non-decompression diving.
I'm no expert on algorithms, but I believe it is that RGBM tends to be somewhat more conservative than other algorithms. And I also believe that even between RGBM computers some are more conservative than others.

My son and I actually dive the Mares Puck Pro+ that drk5036 mentioned, which uses the RGBM algorithm. However, it does have 3 different settings you can select from more to least conservative. Over time we have adjusted to a less conservative setting. And, as we've slowly gotten better on our gas usage, we are usually the last or near the last ones to surface on most boat dives -- and even then, it is pretty much always because we get low on gas, rather than because of computer-imposed NDL limits. So, I don't believe the computer is really holding us back (but we are mere recreational divers).

So, from my perspective the Mares Puck Pro or Mares Smart is a perfectly fine computer for recreational diving purposes. I may splurge and get the Peregrine or Aqua Lung i330R at some point, but mainly because we like night dives, and as d^2b said above it would be nice to have that display always visible without having to hit the button for light or shine my light on it (neither of which is really a big deal, I'm just a bit OCD about looking at my computer).

I'm no expert on algorithms, but I believe it is that RGBM tends to be somewhat more conservative than other algorithms. And I also believe that even between RGBM computers some are more conservative than others.

I have a suunto zoop novo as my backup computer, which is RGBM and famously conservative. I have my peregrine adjusted to GFHi = 75% and it is actually _more_ conservative than the Suunto most of the time. For liveaboard diving, where you do lots of dives but limited to 1h, that has not been an issue for me, although I tend to be a bit more conservative about depth than some people.

If you want to dive in deeper to the dispute, RGBM is based on "bubble models" which are somewhat discredited among decompression researchers. Or at least that's the consensus around here.

I would never suggest any computer using RGBM algorithm.

Old model.
(Or any other proprietary algorithm, let alone one which will lock itself up if you make it unhappy.) It's hard to know what Suunto is actually running, and how it relates to earlier versions. Discussions here over the years here seem to agree that, at least on their cheaper models, their "RGBM" is actually a dissolved gas model with some tweaks to make it behave more like the real thing. They were using the name before dive computers actually had the computing power to run the full algorithm, though.

For what it's worth, I dive with my 11 and 15 y.o. sons..... that inherently limits us to where specific algorithm is pretty immaterial. Heck, I haven't even bothered with Nitrox. We all use Mares Puck Pro's that I picked up pretty cheap, and I have one download cable to service them all. In one of your other threads, the point was brought up of limiting expense until you know how serious the kid will be about diving...... I think that may apply here as well.

Respectfully,

James

I would be another one to suggest the Deep 6 Excursion. I have had quite a few watch style computers and it does a lot for that price range and can be quite bright. Even being watch sized all the info is easily readable for day or night dives. It is the only computer I wish I never sold but I had two Garmin's and figured it would just sit on the shelf.

Here it is compared to my old Atmos Mission one..

I have a few narrowed down that are in my price range.
I can tell the Shearwater Peregrine is very popular but more than I wanna spend.
The Deep 6 seems like the face is rather small. Almost looks to be the size of a standard watch.
I can pick up localy an Oceanic Veo 4, Scubapro Aladin 1 or Sherwood Amphos 2.0.
I'm also looking at a bargain model, the Cressi Giotto with PC Download kit for $260.
.... buy the Shearwater. Buy once, cry once. The peregrine will make a great backup computer for a Perdix or Teric one day. I have 230 dives with my peregrine and absolutely love it.

I ordered a Seac Screen today. It's getting shipped with the Hog TBCS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom