Nothing prevents fogging!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Guy at the store where we are now said guys don't usually have this problem... usually just women. GREAT! :confused:

I have a XS SCUBA fusion 2 GR that I bought so I could have two little panels at the bottom with magnification so I could read my gauges. I have since bought a ProPlus3 so I can now see those large numbers just fine but my mask always fogs. I've tried scrubbing it with toothpaste, tried spit, tried the OTC drops.

Same guy in store just used a porcelain cleaner on it for me and sold me some "Biogel." We'll see how it works...

---------- Post added July 16th, 2015 at 01:13 PM ----------

FYI... mask is fairly old but I can't see how that would make any difference...?

If I understand correctly, you had new lenses put in an old mask?

If so, you are correct the age of the mask has nothing to do with it. As for the lenses, make sure you scrub them well with a non-gel toothpaste. It is important that the toothpaste is non-gel, although I am not sure why gel toothpastes don't work so well. When prepping a mask, I normally spend about 5 minutes or so scrubbing using my thumb and don't have a fogging problem.

I also know that some prefer to burn off the lens film with a small butane torch or lighter. I haven't tried this for fear of deforming the mask skirt, but would probably look into it if I didn't have success with the toothpaste scrubbing.

I use a dab of soft scrub and it works great for a new mask which is what you have when you put new lens in. Clean inside and outside rinse and then do it again after that the best defog is the spit already in your mouth and then a quick rinse
Herb

If I understand correctly, you had new lenses put in an old mask?

No, sorry, the mask was purchased for the purpose of having the magnifying lenses at the bottom. It came that way, was not added later. It's not a new mask, it's rather old but I can't tell you how old. Maybe 10 - 15 years, I don't remember. I'm 61 and have worn "readers" for a lot of years now.

Sounds like I basically need to take more time trying to clean the lens. I never did that before so perhaps it's simply long over due.

Thanks,

In my experience, when students who have done as much as that have mask fogging problems, it is not the mask that is the problem.

If you are exhaling into the mask through your nose while you dive, that warm, moist air is continually running into the cold plane of glass in the mask. It will condense on the mask. That is called fog.

Make absolutely certain you are not exhaling through your nose as you dive, even a little can cause a problem.

If john is correct just keep a little bit of water in the bottom of your mask and when it starts to fog look down and allow the water to run about it will act like a inside windshield wiper.
Herb

In my experience, when students who have done as much as that have mask fogging problems, it is not the mask that is the problem.

If you are exhaling into the mask through your nose while you dive, that warm, moist air is continually running into the cold plane of glass in the mask. It will condense on the mask. That is called fog.

Make absolutely certain you are not exhaling through your nose as you dive, even a little can cause a problem.

If the magnification is a soft lens add-on like dive optics, you may be SOL. My experience with them is the surface degrades over time and becomes very prone to fogging.

Awesome, that makes sense. I'll try to monitor that tomorrow.

I tend to always have some water in the bottom of my mask and am constantly blowing it out so, based on what John said, that could be the source of the problem... breathing into mask to clear it.

Cleaning and defogging are two different treatments and both must be done correctly. You can test the mask with cold water as described here. There is no need to be frustrated on your next dive. Unless you are someplace very deep and cold you can probably exhale nasally all you want without fogging in Texas temperatures. The defog causes the condensation to sheet and invisible flow to the bottom of the mask.

Keeping water in the mask to momentarily erase condensation also serves to rinse your defog away creating a downhill spiral.

Pete

No fogging today. After the comment about breathing into the mask, I shaved and, given that I hadn't for about a week, I wonder if it allowed my mask to fit better, reduce water in mask thus reduce me clearing. Anyway, no problem today. YEA!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom