Nothing bad is going to happen...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Letting a third person join my buddy team. I almost always dive with my wife as my buddy. On more than one occasion in the Keys, someone will say "can I buddy up with you?" There was little time to understand their experience or expectations, and I didn't want to be a jerk.

These were all OK until one time a guy left us to surface by the boat, and then continued solo. My anxiety level soared when I realized he was not on the boat, and most other divers were. It turned out OK, but was a lesson in communicating dive plans BEFORE we were at depth.

Ok, as were on the confession trail, here goes my two biggest sins/bad habits;
1. I do occasionally surface without a buddy, because I decend without one. Its called solo diving and you should NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!
2. I often dont do a "formal" buddy check, much because of 1. I do however go over my own gear more than once and I always breathe both my second stages before going in to make sure they work and the needle dont move. I also always make sure I know where my buddy have any weight releases and the 2nd stage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom