Not sure what I am doing wrong with the "gopro"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Callasrn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just bought gopro hero 3 black surf. I used in Hawaii and anything with higher resolution than 1080, I can't play on the computer because it stops and starts, too much for the computer to process at one time. Now I tried to play it on my plasma tv and the image is great but the audio is constant stop and go. What am I doing wrong?

Happy and Safe Diving!

I just bought gopro hero 3 black surf. I used in Hawaii and anything with higher resolution than 1080, I can't play on the computer because it stops and starts, too much for the computer to process at one time. Now I tried to play it on my plasma tv and the image is great but the audio is constant stop and go. What am I doing wrong?

Happy and Safe Diving!

You shouldn't have any problem playing an HD video on any modern day computer. Even my laptop with integrated CPU/GPU plays the video that I made with my Go Pro 3 (1440 resolution) without skipping at all. I don't know about your hardware but make sure you use Hardware Acceleration whenever possible with your drivers. I have several programs to play the videos and Corel VideoStudio Pro X3 does skip on me if I've played the video a few times so that I know is a software bug. Quicktime, VReveal and Nero have not skipped a beat.

Download Cineform, which has a free version. See if it plays without issues.

Thank you Ouvea, I think my problem is that I have recorded the videos on cineform. The ones I recorded on HD are ok. But the sound of all of them plays funny, with skips on my HDTV. That's where I am confused.

Hi Callasrn:

Have you managed to resolve the issue? Yesterday, I shot in 1080P/60FPS/RAW/Protune Off. Using Quick Time, it skips all the time and is barely watchable. I managed to play it with Windows Media Player but for some reason, the quality is not the same. I'm certain it's a software issue. It doesn't skip while using Corel Video Studio X3 (strange cause this one usually causes me issue), even in full screen.

O.

.mp4 and .mov are both formats that require a monster computer to run. Just because video has that extension and just because you have software to play it does not meant that it will play it the way you want it to play.

A great place to start is by making sure you have downloaded all correct and up to date audio and video codecs. Additionally you need to figure out which software is running in the background. Any type of anti virus is very well known to cause significant issues while running anything.

More importantly is that your quicktime is optimized to play at 30fps not 60 so your computer is going to go bonkers. In quicktime and in video card settings be sure that appropriate options are checked to accelerate hardware, expand video capacities etc etc.

Run your video through Cineform using "same as project" settings. It processes raw .mp4 and converts it to optimized .mov

If that does not work export your file to 30fps and see if that plays.

.mp4 and .mov are somewhat uncompressed video formats (not entirely anyways). They tend to preserve a lot of information and that is why file sizes are massive. Computers sometimes have hard time processing 4gb video files.

I had this problem on my mom's computer when I came to visit. I did not want to mess with her settings but it played fine after cineform processing. At my home I have a monster computer which (knocks on wood) plays these things like a champ.

Most computers can't play 1080p60 because the video memory dries out and start dropping frames
AVCHD has just recently sanctioned this format as previously no hardware based player could handle it
Some programs like QuickTime are even more strict on how a file is encoded in doubt use vlc

Hi Guys:

Here is my system's specs. Can you guys recommend a few upgrades that would that would help out? Should I concentrate more on the CPU or the GPU? A lot of graphics card carry 2GB of DDR. Would the additional memory for the graphics card make the videos run smoother? Mind you, I understand. It's not an exact thing and there's no guarantee since if the software won't make use of it, then it's a moot point.

Mainboard : Intel DH67GDChipset : Intel H67
Processor : Intel Core i5 2300 @ 2800 MHz
Physical Memory : 12288 MBDDR3-SDRAM
Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (1GB GDDR5) <---ATI/AMD 6850
Hard Disk : Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (1000GB)
Hard Disk : Seagate ST95005620AS ATA Device (500GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : ASUS BW-12B1ST
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24LS50
Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 22 inches
Network Card : Intel 6 Series Chipset Family Ethernet Controller
Network Card : Atheros Communications AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter
Operating System : Windows 7 Professional Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 5.9 on 7.9

As a lower cost solution (at least for now). Try taking raw .mp4 that came out of the camera and run it through cineform (free on bestbuy.com). Export video with following settings:
Advanced settings=> Framerate=default and see if that works.

Hi Guys:

Here is my system's specs. Can you guys recommend a few upgrades that would that would help out? Should I concentrate more on the CPU or the GPU? A lot of graphics card carry 2GB of DDR. Would the additional memory for the graphics card make the videos run smoother? Mind you, I understand. It's not an exact thing and there's no guarantee since if the software won't make use of it, then it's a moot point.

Mainboard : Intel DH67GDChipset : Intel H67
Processor : Intel Core i5 2300 @ 2800 MHz
Physical Memory : 12288 MBDDR3-SDRAM
Video Card : AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series (1GB GDDR5) <---ATI/AMD 6850
Hard Disk : Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (1000GB)
Hard Disk : Seagate ST95005620AS ATA Device (500GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : ASUS BW-12B1ST
DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24LS50
Monitor Type : Samsung SyncMaster - 22 inches
Network Card : Intel 6 Series Chipset Family Ethernet Controller
Network Card : Atheros Communications AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter
Operating System : Windows 7 Professional Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 5.9 on 7.9

Those specs should be more than adequate to play HD files. As others have mentioned get the latest codecs and try stopping your AV program.

Back
Top Bottom