Not sociable!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bookymad,

I think I get what you want. You want to have fun diving. You want your potential dive buddies to have a clear understand of your skill level. You want to know that it is about diving and just diving, no expectations, no regrets. You want the potential dive buddy to be willing to help with no real expectation of reciprocal help for now (until your skills improve).

You don’t consider yourself a dive beauty queen or SoCal beach babe and don’t want others to assume you are either. You have no objections to simple conversation but will avoid getting too personal with those who probe too much. All you want is to hone your newly discovered passion for diving with out strings attached.

Well welcome to the world of SCUBA. My wife, a newly certified diver is in the same boat except she has me! If she wanted to dive without me, she would be feeling the same things you do. I can only suggest that you dive with a group, on a boat that has a dive master you know. One that will pair you with someone who completely understands your situation and is willing to dive with you. Some knuckleheads will not want to spend the time and energy to help you with your training but in my experience, many will if asked. I have helped many new divers and would certainly help again if asked.

Others have suggested going with groups and explaining your expectations before diving. Good plan. Most of the divers I have met are more than willing to give you the help and guidance you want without any strings. Just be yourself, be honest and have fun diving!

Dave

I would also like to add to Mr CompuDude's last post that when boat diving in Hawaii, you're usually at your destination in 15 minutes or less. It's a much longer trip out here. Plus from my boat diving experiences in Hawaii, there really isn't a DM that gives you a briefing of the dive sites, you only get 2 dives because very few, if any, of the boats have compressors and you're also usually stuck with al80's. I dove 2 wrecks within sight of eachother at 105ft and the attitude was very lax. There was very almost no protocol given to the divers. Just a different system. With all the extra neoprene and dry suits the weight difference is also considerable, although this summer I was lucky enough to dive our beautiful channel islands in just board shorts and a rash guard.

P.S. after reading you old post about the swimsuit issue, as you can see from my avatar, I do the pull-to-the-side deal. I recommend it!

Billy

EDIT: I also remember seeing something about an attamped dive with manta rays. I believe that occurs on the big island and am not sure if that is a traditional hawaii boat dive.

OK.............so when are we diving? tired of reading and posting..:wink:

Pick one, bring 2 tanks....I'll bring 1 tank

Vets Park tonight
Malibu this weekend
Malibu Wednesday
Malibu Friday

PM me or find me at www.valleyscuba.com

I'll be there, doing two dives tonight.

Arriving at 4:30ish, who else is going tonight?

I'll be there with 2 tanks, but unsure what time I'll arrive so may only be able to do one dive.

Hey there, I'm not particularly social either. I've met a couple of these goons on this board and they're good people. Everyone comes from very different backgrounds, but we've all got diving in common. Even I found myself jabbering like a fool with some of these guys.

I'm a newbie too, and in my experience with these forums, nobody is going to judge you, or any crap like that as long as you show up with a good attitude. You don't need to be the greatest conversationalist (I'm certainly not), if you get out to a get together there are plenty of people who will talk enough that you don't have to. :wink:

My only problem is getting back out there, I've been very busy lately. :(

Yea Mike I haven't seen either you or billy since the Deer Creek dive, come on out & play.

Happy Diving
John

Had a great dive tonight! who want to dive Friday night....Malibu Rd. or Vets Park ????

PM me or you know where to find me :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom