Not sociable!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're in L.A., also check out ValleyScuba.com. Emphasis on local diving... they do lots of beach dives, but are starting to add boat dives, too. Very friendly and inclusive bunch. :)

Booky, just to let you know..It is possible to drown with a wetsuit on. As to you being a newbie we all were at sometime. That being said a you should at least be able to trust that your buddy can get you out of the water in an emergency. Are you confident of your ability to save your buddy if they choose to dive with you? While it's ok to be new, it's not ok to put others at risk because your not competent enough. just a thought.

JUST JOSHIN':
Booky, just to let you know..It is possible to drown with a wetsuit on. As to you being a newbie we all were at sometime. That being said a you should at least be able to trust that your buddy can get you out of the water in an emergency. Are you confident of your ability to save your buddy if they choose to dive with you? While it's ok to be new, it's not ok to put others at risk because your not competent enough. just a thought.

Well stated.

Billy

bookymad:
For all those who made offers of diving with me, it's diver beware! I'm short. Terrible with waves. Take forever to put on my fins, and keep in mind that this is with spring straps and I'm still awful on putting them on! Oh, did I mention, I'm a horrible swimmer? Really horrible! I kid you not. Ok, not to the point that I'll drown. I know how to keep myself afloat, thanks very much and it's impossible to drown in a wetsuit. But, even with that, I am still awful! Oh, and I'm also an air hog. And I'm slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other than THAT, Mrs Lincoln, how did you like the play?

:)

bookymad:
For all those who made offers of diving with me, it's diver beware! I'm short. Terrible with waves. Take forever to put on my fins, and keep in mind that this is with spring straps and I'm still awful on putting them on! Oh, did I mention, I'm a horrible swimmer? Really horrible! I kid you not. Ok, not to the point that I'll drown. I know how to keep myself afloat, thanks very much and it's impossible to drown in a wetsuit. But, even with that, I am still awful! Oh, and I'm also an air hog. And I'm slow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Booky, I'm not quite getting the picture here. First you mention how you are antisocial, but when people reply to you stating that they'll dive with you and won't pressure you to be sociable, you get kind of negative. You state every one of your faults, almost seeming like you want to discourage people from offering to dive with you. You do realize that we were ALL beginners at some point don't you? I don't know of anyone who truly enjoys a surface swim (unless they're short ones like in Laguna), and there is no real reason to be a speedy swimmer on the surface (or underwater)- you will tire yourself out. Underwater swimming is usually slow also- you want to see the sights and enjoy yourself; it's not a race.
I do not like waves either, but in time you WILL learn how to get through them safely... Yes you may get knocked down a few times in the process, so just keep your gear clipped on, reg in mouth, and mask on in case you do fall. You won't become comfortable if you don't keep getting out there and working through your issues (getting through surf, getting fins on, etc).. Take these people up on their offers~ you don't need to feel any social pressure because they're not asking you to be buds and go have a beer after the dive. They're just trying to get you in the water and help you out- you will learn a LOT just by watching how they get through the surf, get their gear on, and everything else. If you feel that they're swimming fast, then simply ask or motion for them to slow down~ people are a lot more understanding than you give them credit for.

I do understand where you're coming from- I am also an antisocial person & I can't stand the surf zone... You just have to get out there and DO IT; soon, you will learn how to "read" the surf zone which will help your entries and exits. As far as being unsociable, that's your choice. You don't have to hang out after the dives~ but you do have to be a safe diver in order to KEEP dive buddies. Its not just about your safety, it's about theirs..

MissyP:
Booky, I'm not quite getting the picture here. First you mention how you are antisocial, but when people reply to you stating that they'll dive with you and won't pressure you to be sociable, you get kind of negative.

Come boat diving in New Jersey, where our motto is "We Dive Alone Together"

:)

I think what the OP is worried about is "having to make friends" with other divers. But don't sweat it. While I've found that divers are a very friendly bunch - and now count some of the folks I've met while diving as true friends - there is no REQUIREMENT that you be friends with the folks you dive with.

In many ways, if I've captured the concern, boat diving is a better option in my experience. At least here in NJ, dive boats are pretty much "a ride to the dive site" and nothing more if you don't want any more. The crew will pair you up with a buddy if you need one or you can ask around for a buddy if you want: "Sure I'll be your buddy, meet me at the dive platform when we get to the wreck." And when the boat gets back to the dock they MIGHT hand you your gear as you're getting off the boat but they probably won't wave goodbye if you don't.

Shore diving and lake/quarry diving tends to be a more "all day" social experience - let's bring a grill, put up a tent, hang out with everyone from the LDS, dive, BS, drink some beers, BS, maybe a night dive.

Of course it may also be more commentary on deep/wreck divers vs recreational divers as well.

Booky...I hope you find what you are looking for out of Scuba. As for me, meeting new people, listening to them tell stories about their dive trips, and getting advice from them is what makes it the most enjoyable. The actual Diving is only the half of it. :14:

Take a chance and show up to a SB event; I have no doubt it will change your opinion a little on interacting with other divers. Good luck!

CodyJP I quite agree with you. It is difficult! The musical sounds of the whales are quite beautiful and an amazing way for them to communicate, no?

Travelmadness ScubaBoard does seem to be lovely resource of diving buddies. You’re lucky!

CompuDude Will check out ValleyScuba.com. Thanks.

JUST JOHIN’ I was just joshing a bit (sorry, couldn’t resist!):D. J However, you’re right. There are multiple scenarios that make it possible. As for being confident of our abilities in being there for our buddies is a fair question to ask. Scuba diving is a sport with its own inherent risks, and one that besides being knowledgeable ourselves, relies on a buddy system. We all have to face that question, and only we know how to answer that question honestly in our own competence in being there for our buddies.

MissyP Who me? Discouraging others to dive with me? Perish the thought!:eyebrow: I was somewhat doing full disclosure sort of thing. I did note that it wasn’t all my faults. Trust me, I have plenty more galore. I’ve read plenty of postings here where people have complained about their insta-buddies not necessarily being upfront with all their faults or problems, whatnot have you. I just didn’t want anyone to “feel” misled.

Yes, I do realize that we were all beginners at one point. Though, that doesn’t necessarily mean that we were all equal as beginners. Some have had a background that has made scuba diving adaptation easier as opposed to others who may never have set their foot in water.

I do truly appreciate the offers from other divers. Really and truly. I also realize that the more I do of shore dives, the easier it will become in time as my experience, knowledge, and familiarity expands.

Yes, I do realize it’s not just my safety in issue, but my buddy’s as well. Hence the disclosure thing? It’s an issue we all face as divers, and only we can decide whether we want to dive with a particular person who will truly think of both of his/her safety as well of their buddy. It’s a calculated risk. Really the best way to truly be safe is to actually know what you’re doing. How else can you truly understand the consequences of a dive proposed by someone else? There are more than enough people doing scuba diving without understanding all the ramifications of certain actions, dives, and lack of planning.

RJP I think almost everyone prefers a boat dive vs. a shore dive. I certainly did in Hawaii. It was lovely! No long walks in your wetsuit and heavy tanks under the blazing Californian sun. As for the differences between shore diving and boat diving in social sense, I wouldn’t know. I’ve only done my shore diving in my OW dives and that was somewhat formalized in a classroom setting. And I’m assuming that my boat dives in Hawaii will be common no matter where I go in the world. So, this is the first time I’ll be doing the shore diving for myself. Hence this posting in the first place. If I had the money to do boat dives every weekend, I’d probably do that. I really love the fact that boat dives means that you tend to dive at better locations, you get to see more, and there’s far less work, but to each his own, this is just my opinion. I know shore dives can be great as well and there is abundance of spots that I’m sure plenty of you will point out. Keep in mind that my experience is limited of now. So forgive me for making generalizations that may be inaccurate.

Divmstr223 I have found what I was looking for in scuba diving. An enjoyment of scuba diving and incredible views of what it’s like under the ocean. The coral, fishes, seals, sandy floors, shells, shipwrecks, sharks, and plenty more that would be impossible to enumerate. As for taking a risk and showing up at a SB event…..maybe. Maybe not. The future is unpredictable anyway, so never say never.

If I made any statements that offended any of you, I apologize. It’s late, and I’m tired. If I left out any stuff that I should addressed, well, I’m hoping that this posting adequately covered them all.

Anyway, here’s to fun and safe scuba diving, and a happy new year. :newyear:

bookymad:
RJP I think almost everyone prefers a boat dive vs. a shore dive. I certainly did in Hawaii.
Sometimes, yes. OTOH, boat diving will never have the spontaneity offered by shore diving... once you own your own gear, it's matter of calling your buddy, saying "let's go diving!" and showing up at the beach a short time later.

It's also considerably less of a time commitment. You can show up at 9am and be done and on the way home by 11am or sooner (or 7am, done by 9am), as opposed to spending all or most of a day at it. Even the half-day boats that are running now chew up a lot more of your day.

The cost factor is entirely tilted in the direction of shore diving, too. $5 for a fill (or less) vs. $50-100 for a day on boat (plus $5 for the first fill). I can 10-20 shore dives for the cost of one boat trip where I would get 3-4 dives in, and considering sometimes my tanks are filled for free...

Some get seasick. I don't, generally, although I have once, and I've seen others suffering through it. That's extremely rare on a shore dive.

Have you ever dove a local SoCal boat? The diving is often superior, or at least different, from most local shore diving, it's true. I'll note that it's a different experience than what you most likely experienced in Hawaii (recalling from the last time I was there). Subtly different procedures, some bigger boats, some the same, and an assumption that the certified diver actually knows what they are doing (tho help will usually be graciously offered once requested) that I find incredibly refreshing compared to most resort-style locations. The DMs do not join you on the dives, or lead groups. Good times. :) I cannot recommend the Peace and the Magician highly enough, incidentally... when you decide to try out the local boats, either would make an excellent first experience. There are other good boats out there, of course, but there are some that are... less desirable. I recommend these two to start, if you can.

So yes, I prefer *aspects* of boat diving, but there are indeed places where shore diving holds it's own, in spite of some extra work to get to the pretty parts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom