"Not quite DIR"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....far from it.
Again, this is merely an observation....
I actually camped beside some of these guys @ Ginnie this year. A few drinks let folks true colors shine. They could be heard for quite some distance bragging that anything less than GUE/DIR divers were just potential fatalities looking for a place to drown.
Georgia and North Carolina plates, but I have seen the same anti-social vibe from local guys around here as well.
The same guys that never return a friendly wave or gesture when you pass in the system....

If I had a dollar for every time a non-dir diver didnt wave back or talked smack, or wrote of lemmings, koolaide drinkers, snobs, etc.

Come on guys...

....far from it.
Again, this is merely an observation....
I actually camped beside some of these guys @ Ginnie this year. A few drinks let folks true colors shine. They could be heard for quite some distance bragging that anything less than GUE/DIR divers were just potential fatalities looking for a place to drown.
Georgia and North Carolina plates, but I have seen the same anti-social vibe from local guys around here as well.
The same guys that never return a friendly wave or gesture when you pass in the system....

If I had a dollar for every time a non-dir diver didnt wave back or talked smack, or wrote of lemmings, koolaide drinkers, snobs, etc.

Come on guys...

Exactly. Extremists exist in everything. IMO those that cannot see past the extremists are extremists themselves and thus no better.

We can all get along....I'm sure of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

those things all look like varying degrees of sentient snot.

... so do some divers I've met ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow uh, I almost feel like I need to start a new thread.

So there's two questions I have, really.

The first is (predictably) deep air (or deep nitrox, whatever). I ask for a DIR sort of angle, because to a lot of people 130' on air is no big deal. To others, 165' is no big deal. I've felt some narc around 100-110'. My interest is how far "<100'" people are willing to stretch that in the total absence of available helium. How about in the absence of affordable helium?

The second is additional tanks for deeper dives where manifolded doubles are not an option. My inclination would be that a single tank of backgas and a single stage would be more compatible with the DIR style of diving than independent doubles. However, it seems that the streamlining of indies would be better.

Wow uh, I almost feel like I need to start a new thread.

So there's two questions I have, really.

The first is (predictably) deep air (or deep nitrox, whatever). I ask for a DIR sort of angle, because to a lot of people 130' on air is no big deal. To others, 165' is no big deal. I've felt some narc around 100-110'. My interest is how far "<100'" people are willing to stretch that in the total absence of available helium. How about in the absence of affordable helium?

I'll do 110' on air or 32 (latter strongly preferred if available). Past that, I'll take mix or skip the dive.

The second is additional tanks for deeper dives where manifolded doubles are not an option. My inclination would be that a single tank of backgas and a single stage would be more compatible with the DIR style of diving than independent doubles. However, it seems that the streamlining of indies would be better.

Where are you traveling that you can't bring a manifold along and have the shop double up some AL80s? If I found myself in such a spot, I'd just stick to fun, easy, shallower single AL80 diving.

I don't go below 100 feet on anything but mix, but that's not because it isn't DIR. It's because I have enough experience with myself at those depths that I know I'm stupid there. I have done 130 on air in my pre-DIR days. I was stupid there, too, but I didn't have enough experience to know it.

One of the big reasons Truk isn't on my bucket list is the unavailability of helium there.

For square profile dives where the rock bottom is onerous on an 80, I just try to get hold of a bigger tank. We've found Al100s on Maui, steel 100s and 120s on Cozumel, and steel 100s in the South Pacific. In Florida and in the Red Sea, we dove doubled 80s.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom