Not everyone thinks cave diving is the pinnacle of SCUBA!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The not so nice ones are snooty to the extreme. I stopped at a cave dive shop that was nearby an OW spring that I was diving and had some rented aluminum 80's that I wanted filled. Without being in the shop for more than 30 seconds the lady working there says with her nose held high and referring to our AL 80's, "oh- we are a cave dive shop so there is nothing here for you." That's verbatim. Okay- that's fine. My buddy was going to look at wetsuits (which they had) and I was looking for a decent light (again which they had) and we were going to purchase some tank fills but they obviously did not want our money even though we were the ONLY ONES IN THE SHOP.

Don't think so bucky.

I have spent several months with Cathy over the past 7 years of cave diving in that general area and have observed her interactions with all manner of customers. She is courteous and accomodating to all, bar none, even some less pleasant customers. She has served the spring divers, river muck divers, cave divers and non-divers equally. The above codswallop is at best incomplete, at worst some sort of axe grinding.

As to cave diving being the pinnacle of diving? No, being a well trained, safe, situationally concious teammate is the pinnacle of diving, no matter where the diving takes place. If your'e there, I don't care how many/few plastic cards you have, I would welcome you on a dive together.

You can find douchebags anywhere you go . . . especially if you are acting like one.

Point Proven.

Wrong again bucko ... I live 3000 miles from caves and get down there maybe once a year. So I don't hardly qualify as a cave diver. In fact, about 90% of my dives are recreational open water.

I happen to be familiar with the dive op you slammed ... as are a lot of other people participating. I call BS on that one, based on personal experience. Everything else you've said therefore becomes suspect.

You remind me of a kid I met in a bar one time, complaining about his boss and the company he worked for and how he hated their attitude. I pointed out to him that it sounded to me like his boss wasn't the one with the attitude problem.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added February 24th, 2013 at 04:31 PM ----------

I was on board with everything but this last bit - a little extreme.

... it was intended to be.

Regardless of how you dive, coming onto the world's largest scuba internet forum and slamming a business by name is something you'd better be able to substantiate. The more I think about it, the more it bugs me ... particularly since I'm familiar with this particular business and the lady who runs it, and find the claim not even a little bit credible.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would have to agree that what you have mentioned does not sound like something that Cathy would do.

It certainly wasn't our experience with Cathy's shop. In fact, I was absolutely floored by the friendliness and very trusting attitude toward her customers that we were shown.

I live in the Philippines... locals always want me to eat 'Balut' (look it up). If I decline, they pester and pester. Nowadays, I just say "I tried it a few times, it's not my favorite though". Then they don't pester any more.

How hard would it be... "Yeah, I've got my full cave. Today I'm just enjoying some single-tank though..." :D

Stick an NACD or NSS-CDS patch in an obvious spot on your wetsuit. No more man-handling shennanigans in the cavern areas..

There was absolutely nothing about balut that compelled me to try it.

Edit: and I stay away from caves :)

I think it has more to do with alcohol impairment than enjoying the local cuisine.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

You mean being able to eat the whole thing without wasting anything doesn't appeal to you?

---------- Post added February 25th, 2013 at 08:43 AM ----------

I don't have issues with trainings or conscientious divers.

I have issues with self-righteous divers who stick their noses in others' businesses uninvited; especially when they talk about forcibly remove people from the area. Sorry, but I don't truck with physical confrontations. I don't do it to you, so you'd best not do it to me.

We're all big boys and big girls, we all know the dangers of diving beyond our capabilities, and if we let ego/hubris/ignorance gets in the way, then that's that. Pay the ultimate price.

Back
Top Bottom