Not everyone thinks cave diving is the pinnacle of SCUBA!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And these so called untrained cave divers were panicking when they were being harassed by the cave divers?

I'm not sure what your angle is but there's one main thing you're missing, which is that *everyone* has a breaking point. To me it sounds like you're trying to play the Dirty-Harry card here and pretend that you don't have this problem but you do. Everyone does. The fact that you don't seem to realize this gives me alarm bells, tbh.

R..

I'm not sure what your angle is but there's one main thing you're missing, which is that *everyone* has a breaking point. To me it sounds like you're trying to play the Dirty-Harry card here and pretend that you don't have this problem but you do. Everyone does. The fact that you don't seem to realize this gives me alarm bells, tbh.

R..

What he is saying is that if I go into a cave, and I am not in a state of panic, and I'm not asking for help, you (the collective you, meaning cave divers) do not have a legal right to forcibly grab another diver and do a dang thing with them. dragging someone out of a cave would be the same as kidnapping. If you grabbed me under water I would treat it exactly as if you did it in a parking lot. I would first defend myself then I would press charges for AT LEAST assault and possibly kidnapping.

a cave diving sticker on yoru tank is not a badge, and it does not give you a license to detain anyone. If you are not asked for help, move on down the pipe and mind your own business.

What he is saying is that if I go into a cave, and I am not in a state of panic, and I'm not asking for help, you (the collective you, meaning cave divers) do not have a legal right to forcibly grab another diver and do a dang thing with them. dragging someone out of a cave would be the same as kidnapping. If you grabbed me under water I would treat it exactly as if you did it in a parking lot. I would first defend myself then I would press charges for AT LEAST assault and possibly kidnapping.

a cave diving sticker on yoru tank is not a badge, and it does not give you a license to detain anyone. If you are not asked for help, move on down the pipe and mind your own business.

So when you are cave diving and all of your self taught skills have failed and you come at me for help, can I then press reckless endangerment charges?

Just remembered this from another thread going on.....

Fnfalman, pretend for a second....I am saying "P.R.E.T.E.N.D. that this is you, headed for the mouth of a dangerous and silty cave.....Should a good Cave Diver Intercept you if this was you....and if so, would you be planning on a vigorous use of your pig sticker?

[video=youtube;UVpD08Ko2DY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVpD08Ko2DY&feature=share&list=UUsM5Za9Kc3 DbP7Qo3-Zmz9w[/video]

Fnfalman, pretend for a second....I am saying "P.R.E.T.E.N.D. that this is you, headed for the mouth of a dangerous and silty cave.....Should a good Cave Diver Intercept you if this was you....and if so, would you be planning on a vigorous use of your pig sticker?

[video=youtube;UVpD08Ko2DY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVpD08Ko2DY&feature=share&list=UUsM5Za9Kc3 DbP7Qo3-Zmz9w[/video]

What's the problem? He didn't miss a step.

And these so called untrained cave divers were panicking when they were being harassed by the cave divers?

You're 200 feet back in the cave, kicking along and enjoying the scenery. Looking at your SPG you decide it's time to turn around and head out. But when you turn around you realize that the flutter kick you were taught in your OW class kicked up the silt behind you ... and your way out looks like an opaque wall. Having not been trained, it never occurs to you to zero the line before swimming into that mess. And having never experienced anything like it before you don't realize just how it'll be until you suddenly can't see a thing. Completely blind, you lose your direction. You bounce off the walls a few times, making the soup even thicker, and realize that you don't know whether you're going into or out of the cave anymore. You can't see your gauge, but you know that the single tank you're wearing has to be getting low. Furthermore, all this stress is causing you to breathe heavier than normal. There's no option to surface. There's nobody to help you. You don't know what to do.

How calm do you think you're going to be when it suddenly occurs to you that unless by some miracle someone comes along to help you, you're going to die here?

Panic is the body's natural response to being faced with a problem you don't know how to resolve. It's an instinct we're all born with. On land, it provides a last-resort method of keeping us alive. In the water, it's a death sentence.

I can pretty much guarantee you that every untrained cave diver (and most trained ones) who ever died in a cave was in a state of panic as they sucked that last breath out of their tank ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This thread has become utterly asinine. We have wanna be combat divers, self trained cave divers calling others idiots, stupid ass trolls, and more chest beating then a gorilla put at the zoo. Just damn stupid.

Half the folks in here are simply trolling to stir ****. If not they truly are bigger douche canoes then they are presenting themselves to be.

"Rambo ain't got nothin on me, I am the real deal." Congratulations. I teach people how to kill people for a living. You seem dead set on killing someone. Maybe you should come to me for training.

Last edited:

Look - no one is saying training is going to solve all the problems of the world. BUT... it is a good bet that anyone who goes through cave training will be more prepared to go into caves, safely, than they would have if they had not.

I've been in Ginnie when I've had to get on the line in the first 300 feet of the cave. Believe me - it is NOT easy to crap out the viz in that area of the cave. In fact, I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't there. I'm sure it cleared fairly quickly, but it was rather disconcerting for a moment. Not in the sense that I was concerned; I knew exactly where I was, but I just would have never expected Ginnie vis to go down like that. The point is, even in a high flow cave, careless form can turn visibility in an instant. In a low flow cave, that kind of a mess would have taken *hours* to settle.

You guys talking with such bravado about your pig stickers and book training don't know what you don't know - and that includes that you are not just risking your own lives when you go in a cave without training. You are risking the lives of every person already in the cave, and every person who may follow you in. No, training isn't perfect. It's not going to guarantee perfect form, or a perfect reaction to every situation. But at least it will give you a minimal understanding of non-silting kicks and give you exposure to situations designed to simulate problems that you may encounter in a cave... So, if your primary light goes out - instead of losing buoyancy and flailing about while trying to find your backup and get it deployed in the dark - it's a complete non-event to pull out your backup and store your primary so that it won't snag anything on the way out. And you can do that without losing control of your buoyancy and/or losing/blinding your buddy. You will learn how to enter the cave without tearing up everyone else's line that has already been run... a book can't teach you that.

But going into a cave without training - if I'm there, you are putting me at risk, every time. What do I care if I'm not there? You are putting friends of mine at risk. So go ahead, call me elitist. Call me whatever you want to, I don't really care. If you want to go in a cave, just get the training. I am not saying I am better than you, all I am saying is that I have training appropriate for the environment. I don't see how that is elitism, personally.

You guys talking with such bravado about your pig stickers and book training don't know what you don't know -

1. You have no clue what I don't know or know.

2. I'll say it again. You have no power to arrest, detain, or police a public place. You have no more rights to touch me in a cave than you do in a shopping mall. Touch me in a cave and I will be signing a complaint with the authorities because I will have defended myself.

---------- Post added February 25th, 2013 at 06:01 PM ----------

I can pretty much guarantee you that every untrained cave diver (and most trained ones) who ever died in a cave was in a state of panic as they sucked that last breath out of their tank ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

More trained cave divers die in caves than open water divers. Perhaps you should stop letting people talk you into doing things the wrong way. I'm sure I can improve on your methods ... for a hefty fee I'll teach you what is wrong. lets say $800 and I'll spend a few hours teaching you a better way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom