Not certified and still diving? How???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDurf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
As I read threads I always look at the avitars of the posters. I continue to see a lot of posters with the "Logged dives: None, not certified" under their avitar, yet they post that they have completed 500, 1,000, or more dives. I understand that being certified in SCUBA has drastically changed a lot over the years, but by today's standards how is this still possible? Don't you have to present your C card when you dive at certain places and with charters??:confused:

Most people don't bother to change it in their profile. A few do it to generate posts like yours.

I just happen to like I'm a Fish, it has no correlation to my dive count...lol.

One could also say that they're Cyber Divers, just pretending to be divers on the internet... :D

Don't you have to present your C card when you dive at certain places and with charters??:confused:

In most civilised places, no. There is no legal requirement to be certified.

Although in this boards case i suspect its people now wanting to reveal personal information so leaving that section blank.

Yup.... I agree with th above posts.

And then you have spongheads like me, I just felt like being a smart ass and putting that I am not certified even though I am an Instructor, And it has gotten a few comments made.:D

If you don't use charters and don't rent gear, you don't need certification. Some people learn to dive on their own or from other people, some people just want to their own thing.

One could also say that they're Cyber Divers, just pretending to be divers on the internet... :D

That's not true. I play a lot of Endless Ocean.

I even have a PADI cert card for dive simulation.

In most civilised places, no. There is no legal requirement to be certified.

Although in this boards case i suspect its people now wanting to reveal personal information so leaving that section blank.

Hey String, Not too disagree, But a lot of places do ask to see your card, Philippines, Bahamas,and some shops here in the communist state of California ask to see it until they get to know you anyway.

While I was in the Bahamas they kept asking each day to see mine and I did not want them to know my qualifications so I only showed them my open water card.

Just take everything with a grain of salt!

Hey String, Not too disagree, But a lot of places do ask to see your card, Philippines, Bahamas,and some shops here in the communist state of California ask to see it until they get to know you anyway.

Some places will, some dont. I've not once been asked to supply any qualification here. Its not a legal requirement so isnt asked for. Some places they will ask. However if you don't dive in those places or own your own boat, shore dive and whatever its perfectly possible to dive without qualification.

Lots of the "local" divers in asian countries aren't officially certified for example. Egypt was the same until very very recently.

Back
Top Bottom