not a diver death but sad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While the preventable death of a child is tragic the real question should be why a 3 year old was left unattended in close proximity to a pool.

While the preventable death of a child is tragic the real question should be why a 3 year old was left unattended in close proximity to a pool.
Who knows. It's all too easy to criticize without the facts. It averages several times a day to kids under 14 in the US, with pools being the most common water risk involved with 1-4 yos.

Why am I the only one who wears at least a snorkel vest on dive boats headed to sites, with funny looks from other divers? We average 2 drowning deaths involving boats.

My granddaughter is not exposed to water hazards often but we're good about keeping her in a PDF around water as her swimming skills improve and my family is good about wearing PDFs or Snorkel vests on boats, but we don't see much caution in others anywhere I've been. I've never been to a pool in Canada but on the Thousand Islands, saw boaters without vests everwhere.

We're going camping this weekend on a lake with a popular beach area frequented by families who let their kids play in zero-viz water and some of the sights there really scare me: boaters without vests, kids of all ages playing in water up to their chins, etc. I'll take what rescue gear I have with me, but I can't change parenting in others - and if a kid vanishes in the muddy water, I can only do my best to help find the body before it's too late. I have enough difficulties encouraging saver practices in my family in view of all the others.
If only the parents or caregivers responsible for the child were paying attention, it wouldn't have come to the point where the child was in need of urgent care. This BS doesn't belong here - take the political ramblings to whine and cheese...
It's easy to say, but kids can sneak off on you so fast and while good care is great, you can't keep them in a glass bubble until they're ready for the world.

As far as moving the thread, I asked - nope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom