Northern RA versus Misool in April

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mermaid Stacy

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello again and thank you to everyone who gave me such great advice regarding my single diver itinerary for Indonesia.

I have looked at many LOBs for RA with prices in my budget from $1700-$2800 for twin share room with trips ranging from 7D to 8D from mid April to end of April.

From what I have read throughout this forum Central to Southern Raja is recommended for the month of April. Most of the other boats in my budget are heading to Northern RA.

If I narrow it down to 4 boats, my choices are:

Lady Denok: 8D/7N - 17 Dives - Misool $2590
Pearl of Papua: 8D/7N - 21 Dives - Northern To Wayag Island $1960
Manta Mae: 8D/7N - 20 Dives - Southern $2142
Mari: 7D/6N - 16 Dives - Central $1709

I have researched all these boats and they all have good reviews, so I am wondering what you guys think is the best choice for mid April during new moon:? Does anyone have a favorite LOB out of these choices? I am coming from Bali and have flexible travel dates. I have ruled out the Empress II going to Misool based on research and reviews.

I like to shoot some underwater video of landscape, colorful reef, fish, coral...I would love to see colorful soft corals again, maybe oceanic manta rays. I enjoy schools of fish, heathy reef, not big into macro and not a hard core photographer.

Thank you everyone, I look forward to all the wonderful advice here in the Indonesia forum:)

Last edited:
I’ve been in Pearl of Papua to Cendrawasih Bay with Ben as Cruise Director. I heard he’s no longer working there. Check out @guppyman experience on the same trip you are interested in: Raja Ampat-Pearl of Papua Trip Report

You make the right choice to go to Misool in April. The soft corals & Oceanic Manta in Magic Mountain cleaning station are just amazing view to see there in addition to the Pygmy Seahorse, walking shark & amazing limestone island landscape, popping out from the sea like mushrooms.

Although I’ve been there about 6 times in the past 8 years, unfortunately I don’t have any experience with Lady Denok & Manta Mae. Hopefully other SB members can chime in for their experience with those liveaboards.

In my experience, you need to book such trip a year or more in advance to go to Raja Ampat. I booked my 7th trip there a couple of months ago with Putri Papua for December 2019.

Last edited:
Manta Mae only takes 6 pax so that is a good choice for small crowds on the dive site. Nice boat with all of the amenities. Misool (South) should be fine in April

I’ve been in Pearl of Papua to Cendrawasih Bay with Ben as Cruise Director. I heard he’s no longer working there. Check out @guppyman experience on the same trip you are interested in: Raja Ampat-Pearl of Papua Trip Report

You make the right choice to go to Misool in April. The soft corals & Oceanic Manta in Magic Mountain cleaning station are just amazing view to see there in addition to the Pygmy Seahorse, walking shark & amazing limestone island landscape, popping out from the sea like mushrooms.

Although I’ve been there about 6 times in the past 8 years, unfortunately I don’t have any experience with Lady Denok & Manta Mae. Hopefully other SB members can chime in for their experience with those liveaboards.

In my experience, you need to book such trip a year or more in advance to go to Raja Ampat. I booked my 7th trip there a couple of months ago with Putri Papua for December 2019.

@Dan T Thanks for advice and in depth trip report on POP. I met a nice couple running DiveZone on Gili Air and they couldn’t stop signing the praises of the KLM Mari so I made the decision to book my trip with the Mari, going to Central RA. The lower cost of the trip will allow me maybe dive Lembeh/Bunaken or Komodo, or if I truly want to melt my credit card: Maratua and Derawan!! Trip Report coming soon. Excited, many years in the making:)

Why did you rule out Empress? Their reviews on liveaboards.com are really good. I was going to go with the mermaid but its so expensive I might do empress.

@Satto95 I was initially interested in the Empress for their Raja South itinerary and their budget price point. I read a lot of good reviews but then found out that there is only 1 bathroom for 8 divers (I could be wrong, please correct me). Having been in Indonesia over a month, and seeing and hearing other divers having trouble with stomach issues, I decided against the Empress. They have a great deal going for sure but since I have been traveling for several months in SE Asia I decided that if I am going for a liveaboard in Raja, I want opt for an ensuite bathroom. Definitely depends on your preference. I could be wrong about the 1 bathroom, but could swear I read it 2 places online. The Empress is running week trips to Komodo in May for 1K!!!

I was looking at the KLM Mari as a second choice and happened upon Dive Zone dive shop on Gili Air just last week. I told them about my interest in Raja on the Mari and turns out they had been on the Mari recently in Komodo. They had nothing but great things to say about the whole experience. I booked on the Mari the same day.

I booked on liveaboard.com and it seems the Mari, Empress and Pearl of Papua are all within a couple hundred dollars of each other, I think the POP does the most dives. I think Lady Denok goes to South RA for 8 days for around $2600 end of April.

I have heard nothing but amazing things about RA from everyone I come across traveling as well as here on ScubaBoard. I say go! If you fly through Makassar, there is a cheap hotel at the airport for the layover on the way to Sorong!

You've already booked, but perhaps for the next booking... When I booked for Komodo, I did it through PADI Travel, which includes free Dive Assure insurance if the liveaboard trip is over $1000 USD.

Back
Top Bottom