Norte for days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with you. Trying not to be too bummed as I had a few epic dives Saturday/Sunday...but I'm headed to the mainland tomorrow and sadly it looks like my 5 day dive trip will have just 5 dives.

Could always go beachcombing on the east side and look for square fish
also an excellent way to meet new friends. and wind up in a garbage bag dissected like the scare crow from the wizard of oz.

Dive with Martin does a great job with updates on port closures, if you are on Facebook.
They did post it is open as of 45 mins ago. Last week was really hot, I am sure the north wind is making the surface temps comfortable and hopefully the ocean will cool off. All of the divers on my boat had 87 on Columbia and 88 degrees on Palancar Bricks.

It is crazy reading about a norte so early in the month! I just returned from Coz on Sat. The heat and humidity were stifling. Water temps were at 88 degrees. When visiting the island in the winter, I can count on losing at least one day of diving due to nortes, not typically the case in Oct. I hope you all get back in the water soon.

I hope the weather cooperates and you get some dives in. I also hope the Nortes bring in some upwellings and cooler waters.

We had a group of 20ppl in Coz and just got back home last week.

I'm actually looking at the digital logged dives right now, and average water temps were consistently 85º on 16 dives from Columbia up to Paradiso. Some of the deeper dives were 84º.

Not sure if you folks who are there right now are experiencing some bizarre spike in water temps a week after we left? Local DMs told us the temps had previously been 86º-87º in August and September, but were on a very slow cooling trend.

I conducted some training dives from shore in 10' of water and did have some temps of 86º. I had my Perdix, my Apple Watch, and another computer clipped to my BCD. My business partner and other Instructors in our group had multiple computers ranging from Garmins and Suuntos to Oceanics, to Shearwaters*** all confirming 85º temps.

***Our entire staff has Shearwater Terics, and we've sold many of them to our clients. Terics are known to read 2ºF warmer than actual temps. The Terics were reading 86º-87º.
Perdix, Peregrine, Oceanic OCi, Garmin, Suuntos, all reading 85º

Who are you diving with?
Diving with Aldora; yesterday (17th) managed to get 2 late afternoon dives in. 2nd dives was essentially a twilight dive. Water was still pretty choppy and visibility was half of what it was a few days earlier.

Great diving today, topside conditions still pretty choppy but manageable.

Back
Top Bottom