noob wetsuit/fin alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fingerling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
:confused: ok, this is my first thread as a noob, please be kind... :blinking: i've tried searching the forum already but I couldnt find specifics...

mga sir, I'm just starting out and kind of hesitant on shelling out on equipment, all I have so far are a mask and snorkel. Lately i've been pondering the idea of getting my own very first wet suit and fins, I hear 3/2 suits are prefered in our waters, true? and there have been countless of discussions on splits vs blades, any advice guys? especially when it comes to our local water conditions, who else better to ask right :wink:

p.s. can you guys hook me up with a dive shop (manila, cebu, others?), shops down here don't have alot of choices, and shipping from the States costs an arm and a leg. Seconds are much much welcomed :D thanks!

fingerling:
:confused: ok, this is my first thread as a noob, please be kind... :blinking: i've tried searching the forum already but I couldnt find specifics...

mga sir, I'm just starting out and kind of hesitant on shelling out on equipment, all I have so far are a mask and snorkel. Lately i've been pondering the idea of getting my own very first wet suit and fins, I hear 3/2 suits are prefered in our waters, true? and there have been countless of discussions on splits vs blades, any advice guys? especially when it comes to our local water conditions, who else better to ask right :wink:

p.s. can you guys hook me up with a dive shop (manila, cebu, others?), shops down here don't have alot of choices, and shipping from the States costs an arm and a leg. Seconds are much much welcomed :D thanks!
hi dude

wetsuits: yup a 3mm should solve most of your problems, for those more impervious to cold (makapal balat) also survive with a .5mm diveskin

it's a non-critical piece of dive equip so it's really a matter of how much you're willing to shell out for it that's going to decide your purchase (assuming that it fits well)

fins: personally i love my splits (apollo bio pro) but a good 1st purchase that's relatively inexpensive would be plastic paddle fins (like mares avanti) and the range price for those go from 2k (IST bora bora) to about 7k+ (mares, aqualung, etc.).

diveshop: gordon's shop has an online component (you can "browse" the shelves there or even order) www.scubastoponline.com, if you come to manila he's in makati... tell him you're PPD and you get a PPD discount (read: good deal!)...

hope this helps... oh, and welcome to the PPD!

Jag

P2,100 at Diverspoint. You will probably have long quit diving before you would have to replace this and its ok for beginners. I recently did an experiment with 10 students and 8 out of 10 found this fins easier to use than a full plastic paddle fin.
F_1(b).jpg

Axua:
P2,100 at Diverspoint. You will probably have long quit diving before you would have to replace this and its ok for beginners. I recently did an experiment with 10 students and 8 out of 10 found this fins easier to use than a full plastic paddle fin.
F_1(b).jpg
2100??? what brand is that? i was gonna mention the long-trusted jets but bing said he didn't want to splurge right now...

@bing: add 2,500 for spring straps and you've got fins... ayan na yan.

Jag

Like I said in the other thread..nice to have another PPDer so close to home.

My advice would be to find the fins you want and find where to get them. In that order. If you rely on what the shops in Davao have then you will be pretty limited. Scubaworld should be having a sale on mares pretty soon as they lost the dealership. Avanti 3 is nice and affordable. Of course, I will only use jet fins for as long as I dive.

For wetsuit: I cant really tell from your picture how much inherent insulation you have. Haha. I have a lot so I use either a rash guard shorty or a .5 mm full suit. Never needed anything more.

Why dont you PM or email me your budget and I can make some firm recommendations?

Im supposed to go to a PADI members forum there tom but cant get away from work. Dove there Sunday though.

thanks everyone, nice thoughts... :blinking:

@axua: yup, what brand are those? and where's diverspoint? (ahem, excuse my ignorance) :D you don't mean this site do you? http://www.diverspoint.net/index.php

@jag: thanks! i'm going with 3mm's. Oneil has a great one but are quite expensive :( seems all they have down here are aquamundos, are they any good? i'd love to go all nationalistic if they're worth it :D and are spring straps really that expensive? i mean they are just straps... fins 2,100+ straps 2,500 = better fins(jet?), which I could replace the straps nalang when they go? scubastoponline.com seems to be down at the moment... can't go up north yet, but I'll be in Cebu next month, any good (affordable) dive shops there? :blinking: btw, which one's do you use? http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Biofin_Pro.htm

@partridge: sure nice to have someone close to home too :blinking: i've been spending some time on the scubaworld ph website but it seems they really don't post any items for sale, choices are indeed very limited here in Davao tsk tsk... I'm working on my "inherent" insulation right now (read: binging) actually since Christmas hehe when it comes to cold water I'm a goat! :D will PM you once I get a firm budget.

@caloy: [bing knocks on wood] wag naman po sana sir... seriously, safety reasons? :blinking:

oooh... jets! would love to have those. try renting a variety of fins and see where you are most comfortable. haven't tried splits so i can't say much about 'em but i have tried jets and they make you fly underwater :D

a 3mm wetsuit should be enough if you don't get cold easily. :thumbs-up

Lol...Caloy's just being pasaway about the "You're going to die" thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom