Need recs: Wetsuit and Drysuit Maintenance and Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landlockeddivingdoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all. So this is an expansion of a post put up earlier this week in the Print and Digital media forum. No responses to it, so I thought I'd expand the audience a bit while still staying on-topic for a forum with a LOT of knowledgeable folks out there.

I recently got my first semi dry suit and will likely be getting a dry suit in the near future (wife gets cold really easily, but doesn't want the task loading of a dry suit, so she'll likely inherit the semi-dry. I would like to be able to do routine maintenance, as well as conduct simple repairs both in the field, and in a better equipped shop setting.

I've been looking for the Airspeed Press book (authored by Lindblom) referenced in the title of the post for the last week or two, as it seems to have been universally recommended as being the book to get on this topic. Unfortunately, of course, AirSpeed went out of business a couple of years ago, and finding this book is harder than finding a unicorn after the leprechauns nearly hunted them to extinction...

...No hardcopies on any resale sites, hits on other subs, nor have I been able to find any pdfs on...alternative information repositories...on the internet. If anyone could point me in the right direction where I could find a copy of this (including sale or borrowing [with collateral of course] of a personal copy), it would be much appreciated.

Failing that, any other alternatives that describe kind of a holistic and thorough approach to maintenance/repair, be they in book or website form, would be highly appreciated. Even with the limited SB search functionality, I've seen some GREAT threads on this topic, as well as finding a few sites on the web....but that usually just cover one topic, like patching a hole, or doing simple seal repairs, but nothing quite as comprehensive as what I'm looking for as a desk reference.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Umm, Google and YouTube? "Wetsuit care" and "wetsuit repair" and "Drysuit Maintenance and Repair" should cover everything. Surfers and kayakers often are short of cash and have a lot of opportunities to damage their suits so you'll find lots of info. The drysuit will also come with a manual.

But I'm responding to your plan to hand down your semidry to your wife. Wetsuit warmth requires insulation. But equally important is a good fit to keep cold water from flushing through the suit. The odds of one cold water suit working well for a couple are rather low. I'm not making any assumptions, but if the couple consists of a male and female, the odds get close to 0.

Umm, Google and YouTube? "Wetsuit care" and "wetsuit repair" and "Drysuit Maintenance and Repair" should cover everything. Surfers and kayakers often are short of cash and have a lot of opportunities to damage their suits so you'll find lots of info. The drysuit will also come with a manual.

But I'm responding to your plan to hand down your semidry to your wife. Wetsuit warmth requires insulation. But equally important is a good fit to keep cold water from flushing through the suit. The odds of one cold water suit working well for a couple are rather low. I'm not making any assumptions, but if the couple consists of a male and female, the odds get close to 0.
Lol ...I appreciate your concern, but ... We're both in the same "manufacturers recommended size," AND "works in the real world when you're wearing it" size.

What can I say... I guess she married me for my smarts, not my looks!

Hi all. So this is an expansion of a post put up earlier this week in the Print and Digital media forum. No responses to it, so I thought I'd expand the audience a bit while still staying on-topic for a forum with a LOT of knowledgeable folks out there.

I recently got my first semi dry suit and will likely be getting a dry suit in the near future (wife gets cold really easily, but doesn't want the task loading of a dry suit, so she'll likely inherit the semi-dry. I would like to be able to do routine maintenance, as well as conduct simple repairs both in the field, and in a better equipped shop setting.

I've been looking for the Airspeed Press book (authored by Lindblom) referenced in the title of the post for the last week or two, as it seems to have been universally recommended as being the book to get on this topic. Unfortunately, of course, AirSpeed went out of business a couple of years ago, and finding this book is harder than finding a unicorn after the leprechauns nearly hunted them to extinction...

...No hardcopies on any resale sites, hits on other subs, nor have I been able to find any pdfs on...alternative information repositories...on the internet. If anyone could point me in the right direction where I could find a copy of this (including sale or borrowing [with collateral of course] of a personal copy), it would be much appreciated.

Failing that, any other alternatives that describe kind of a holistic and thorough approach to maintenance/repair, be they in book or website form, would be highly appreciated. Even with the limited SB search functionality, I've seen some GREAT threads on this topic, as well as finding a few sites on the web....but that usually just cover one topic, like patching a hole, or doing simple seal repairs, but nothing quite as comprehensive as what I'm looking for as a desk reference.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
You can P.M. me if you like, I think I can help......

Just to provide context, Steve Lindblom passed away in May this year. He had been ill and this probably explains the closure of Airspeed Press:

His books are great resources and his contributions to the sport are appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom