noob wetsuit/fin alert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fins

As you already have your mask/snorkel, I would suggest you get a pair of fins already. The jet fins posted by others are OK, but do test them out as weaker legs (like mine) might find them quite tiring. As for the paddle vs. split debate, I'm more partial to the paddle-type. What brand is your mask and snorkel, by the way?

Mares makes good paddle type fins. Scuba World might have remaining stocks on clearance (might). If not, your best bet would be the other diveshops around. Otherwise, you have no choice but to go to the new Mares Dive Center located at the Aquaventure Building in San Antonio Village in Makati.

Wetsuit

As for wetsuit, yes, them 3/2 mm wetsuits are the norm in Philippine waters. As for brand, it really depends on your budget and preferences. Aquamundos are quite alright (styling though is a matter of preference). If you are after the branded ones, there's Mares, Aqua Lung (now distributed by Scuba World), Beuchat, Cressi and the pricier Scubapro. There are the Taiwan brands too.

The final set of gear you should get are the BCD/Reg combo. Now that would depend on your budget, frequency of dives and personal preferences too.

Shops

For independent shops, check out Nautilus at Pasay Road in Makati. They carry a good assortment of brands. Also Diver's Point (Wilson St., Greenhills), Eureka Dive (Rockwell, the building beside Ateneo, same building as the bike store).

great info stormrider, will definitely consider.... :wink:

i think i'll go with aquamundo suits for now, since i'm going to buy a few in time, might as well start on the safe side, probably end up tearing it anyway :(

as for fins, i'm considering jets, like the IST's posted by axua, but I won't be stingy in this department since I'm told fins could last a lifetime, the Mares Volo is on the top of my list, tho I think I might try testing out different fins before I
buy, dove with a split last week and found it good.

i'm currently using a seeflex freestyle mask by aquamundo and an IST purged flexible snorkel... shops down here have a number of BCs and regulators for sale, even good 2nds... thanks for the info on the shops, will be bringing a big sack (and a hooded mask) when I get to travel to manila :D:D:D

Don't get the Volo's... I've heard so many stories of those snapping over a few years. Also hear they are not good in a strong current. For mares, look into the Quattro Excels (expensive) or the less expensive but as durable Avanti Quattro's.

Not to make your choice more difficult but I've recently switched from jetfins to quattro excel's. Jetfins are great all-around fins, but I find the foot pocket very uncomfortable. I also feel I get more power from the quattro's :D

Happy shopping! Look forward to hearing your dive reports from Davao!

I forgot to include Bare for the wetsuits (Scuba World). One of the best brands, IMO, durable esp. with the stitching.

As for the fins, better to test drive first before deciding.

Happy shopping!

pakman:
Don't get the Volo's... I've heard so many stories of those snapping over a few years. Also hear they are not good in a strong current. For mares, look into the Quattro Excels (expensive) or the less expensive but as durable Avanti Quattro's.

Not to make your choice more difficult but I've recently switched from jetfins to quattro excel's. Jetfins are great all-around fins, but I find the foot pocket very uncomfortable. I also feel I get more power from the quattro's :D

Happy shopping! Look forward to hearing your dive reports from Davao!

I second this. Volo Powers are very prone to snapping on the edge portions I hear. But their paddle fins are great. I currently use the Avanti X3 -- great all around performer and low price. Avanti Quattros are good too. The Quattro Excel is their top-end paddle fin. Mares also introduced a model to slot between the X3 and the Quattro called the Superchannel (don't know if already available locally).

If you can, test drive before making the final choice.

fingerling:
http://www.diverspoint.net/index.php

@jag: thanks! i'm going with 3mm's. Oneil has a great one but are quite expensive :( seems all they have down here are aquamundos, are they any good? i'd love to go all nationalistic if they're worth it :D and are spring straps really that expensive? i mean they are just straps... fins 2,100+ straps 2,500 = better fins(jet?), which I could replace the straps nalang when they go? scubastoponline.com seems to be down at the moment... can't go up north yet, but I'll be in Cebu next month, any good (affordable) dive shops there? :blinking: btw, which one's do you use? http://www.apollosportsusa.com/Products/Fins/Biofin_Pro.htm

for wetsuits aquamundos should be ok... if that's what they've got in your neighborhood shop then better as you get to fit it (w/c is the important thing for wetsuits)

yup, spring straps are expensive... but they also make the whole doffing and donning thing of 1960s technology (jets) easier... also, rubber straps can snap on you when you least expect it... i think there are 1750 na spring straps... again, those are SRPs, you can get better deals when you talk to the shop owner/s and say you're PPD

scubastop's back online :D sorry, there was a small snafu on the server side yesterday

cebu... hmmmm... scubaworld would be the major one... there's an aquaventure/white tip on boracay, i can take a look next week for you if you want (seriously, it's no biggie)

i use the black ones... that yellow one is new... and downright FUGLY!

Jag

Jag, where do you buy the spring straps over there? They seem to be cheaper there, I might get a pair.

Marv, they're like $20-25 for a set here in HK. Not sure if it's a Taiwanese or Mainland Chinese company that's been spitting them out. Similiar to the one's that are showing up in Leisurepro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom