Non Specific Dive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bolt kit should be a standard part of the package. It's like getting that cool battery operated toy for Christmas without batteries :crying:

Rap

rapidiver:
The bolt kit should be a standard part of the package. It's like getting that cool battery operated toy for Christmas without batteries :crying:

Rap

Yes, it should be included but it usually is not. I buy 5/16" stainless threaded rod and cut it to the lengths I need. Stainless nuts, washers and lockwashers are available in all marine supply stores and most hardware and big-box home stores. I always buy more than I need and keep spares in my bag for the inevitable times when washers and wing nuts "jump" into the water.

Really? Both my singles wings and doubles bands have always come with hardware. But having an extra set is a really good idea...

If you are buying your own hardware look for 316 or 18-8 or if you are metrically inclined (either ISO or DIN) look for A4.

Thought I'd just fill you all in on a great deal i just found. Walmart has an adjustable Reebok free weight hand system.It is two grips that lock into 16 different weights each weight is just over 1lb so it is a total of 16lbs of weight for $14.00! I just sprayed each weight with galvanizing spray so they won't rust. Total cost was $17.00!

-Jacobi

jsmith89:
I just got a back-plate and wing. Every shop I went to said that they would have to order the bolts i needed to hold the wing to the plate and that they would be 20-30 dollars! I finally had enough and went to west marine. Bought 4 16x stainless bolts 4 washers and 4 wing nuts all stainless (yes i know i only needed 2 but i got an extra pair just in case) Cost me 11 dollars. Is there any downsides to using these bolts vs the ones at the dive shops?

-Jacobi

You could have gotten them for a third the West Marine price at Ace or True Value hardware. Of all the marine stores West has the highest prices by a wide margin.

Captain,
Actually I looked first at Lowes but their prices were nearly double because West Marine had a store wide sale leading up to January first (when they have to pay taxes on their stock)

-Jacobi

What's up with bolting the wing and plate together? They don't come with bolts 'cause they aren't intended to be bolted together.

I guess some divers bolt them together to make things easier to deal with when they are off the cylinder. Seems to me that if you want to do this then a trip to the hardware store is in order.

I'm curious what these manufacturers say when someone asks, "where's my bolts?" And how come Tobin is the only guy that's addressed this issue?

How 'bout getting a STA? They do come with bolts, BTW.

with my sigle tank rig, i leave 'em bolted together, so I can just drop the wings& backplate on the tank as if it were a jacket bc

with doubles, i leave them seperate and just assemble then on site, which only takes like 30 seconds with wingnuts

Back
Top Bottom