Noisy Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might be hearing air shift in a partially closed sinus? I hear things like that occasionally. Exhaling through the Mask will be hidden by the regulator noise. Some marine life can get pretty vocal and be heard at a distance. How about air bubbling out of your wetsuit or gear?

oh jeez there are a lot of theories! I hear weird stuff once in a while shore diving in Nova Scotia. At this point, after 10 years, I'd think it's not an equipment thing, but who knows. And there isn't a lot of weird stuff to hear in NS, like boats or crackling fish, etc,. If you're OK, maybe let it go?
Hi Tom,

I am okay, so could let it go. :) I'd simply been trying to avoid the sitch again since it was loud and irritating, three dives in a row. The posters here have given me great suggestions as to what and how to check if the boiling kettle returns.

You might be hearing air shift in a partially closed sinus? I hear things like that occasionally. Exhaling through the Mask will be hidden by the regulator noise. Some marine life can get pretty vocal and be heard at a distance. How about air bubbling out of your wetsuit or gear?

Hey CT-Rich,

Thanks for responding. Wow, I never even considered that sort of air shift.

Perhaps I was exhaling through my mask and it was hidden by the regulator noise? Hmm.

New 5mm wetsuit fits well, really well. (Had searched high and low for one that did.).

I often hear a constant tick-ticking sound around coral, like sleet hitting the windows here in the northeast...

We get similar here in Taiwan, but more noticeable around 5m often around ss someone told me it's the crabs..!

We get similar here in Taiwan, but more noticeable around 5m often around ss someone told me it's the crabs..!
Greetings hsinhai,

I didn't realize that sounds made by the critters could be heard, and in some cases be pretty loud (e.g., pistol shrimp). "Grunting" fish; crunching parrotfish...pretty neat. :)

Of course anything I claim to hear could be an auditory hallucination since I'm predisposed to those, eh OrangeCountyScuba?:wink:

@WrmBluH2O
Yep haha. Hey, it could be worse, I wouldn't mind a bit of auditory hallucinations from time to time. I am still banging my head against the wall trying to figure out your issue. If you have a GoPro please take it with you the next couple dives and see if you can capture the sound on that. I am starting to lose sleep over this, haha.

So I had a few similar experiences to yours. I was hearing a bubbling noise and couldn't figure out what it was. Running through my troubleshooting efforts this is the list I came up with.

Tank connection (this probably isn't it in your case since it was not constant based on your first description) and should be easy to sea before descending

BCD Dump valve partially open (most common is the shoulder one and should have been caught during a buddy check, mine was not because it was dark)- this would be indicated by having to put extra air in you BC more frequently, again this one is unlikely

The last time I experienced this was my mask, I know it was my mask because the seal of my mask was under my hood so as I was unconsciously exhaling through my nose my hood filled with air (which was actually kind of nice since the water was about 45F and the the air slowly vented from the hood.

I often hear a similar sound and it drove me crazy trying to figure out what it was. The answer turned out to be remarkably simple. As I would exhale normally through the 2nd stage, the bubbles would ascend and a small portion would become trapped between my mask strap and my head, then slowly dissipate. It still happens, but now that I know what it is, I've made peace with it. Try taking your mask off and exhale normally and see if you still hear the sound.

Not an old Sherwood regulator keeping itself dry?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom