Noisy Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have frequently seen students who exhale almost exclusively through their noses. I can normally see this easily as bubbles pour out of their masks, but when I tell them about it, they are usually completely surprised.

I said "normally" above for a reason. You said you have long hair. One day I noticed something strange with a female student with long hair. Bubbles were coming out of her hair! I looked carefully and realized that the bubbles pouring out of the top or her mask were not easily noticeable because they were flowing immediately into her billowing tresses and then working their way out.

I often hear a constant tick-ticking sound around coral, like sleet hitting the windows here in the northeast. I'm never sure if it's fine bits of sand / coral hitting my mask, or the sound of various fish grinding coral. Doesn't sound like bubbles, so probably not what you're hearing. I'd be surprised if you're hearing air escaping from your mask...
I'm from upstate NY originally and lived in Boston for many many years, so I know the sound of sleet against glass. Good decription, but not what I was hearing. Thank you though! :)

I have frequently seen students who exhale almost exclusively through their noses. I can normally see this easily as bubbles pour out of their masks, but when I tell them about it, they are usually completely surprised.

I said "normally" above for a reason. You said you have long hair. One day I noticed something strange with a female student with long hair. Bubbles were coming out of her hair! I looked carefully and realized that the bubbles pouring out of the top or her mask were not easily noticeable because they were flowing immediately into her billowing tresses and then working their way out.

Wild! No glam billowing treases here, more like and quick and dirty pony tail. I have no idea how people who don't pull their hair back when diving see...:D

Stop breathing (don't hold your breath, just pause in the breathing cycle) for a moment; does the sound go away?

If not, take a small mirror with you (good for emergency light flashes to a boat, and irritating secretary blennies anyway) and look behind you at your tank-valve-to-regulator connection. Should see nothing. If you don't have a mirror, and you can reach it, turn the valve off for a moment; does the sound stop?

If it sounds like bubbles, it is almost surely bubbles. Look for them.

A mirror, simple yet brilliant. Wish I had thought of that (another reason why this board is great). Thanks, tursiops!

Any chance it's the sound of a boat motor in the distance?

To me, the reef sounds kind of like crackling, cellophane being crumpled. Some say it sounds like champagne bubbles.

A mirror, simple yet brilliant. Wish I had thought of that (another reason why this board is great). Thanks, tursiops!
You are welcome. Now you've had possibly the best half of my Solo course.....

This happened to me just the other day. I heard a noise that seemed like bubbles escaping, and I was looking for the cause when I realized it was just the sound of the boat that dropped us off changing positions.

Sound can go a long way underwater, and it is hard to tell where it was coming from. Once when diving in the Bahamas our whole group was mystified by a strange beeping noise that seemed to come from all around us. The boat crew explained that what we were hearing was sonar from the American submarine base miles away.

To me, the reef sounds kind of like crackling, cellophane being crumpled. Some say it sounds like champagne bubbles.
chillyinCanada,

Not at all like crackling, cellophane being crumpled. Although I adore Champagne, this sound wasn't anywhere near as subtle. Instead it sounded (to me) exactly like when you inadvertently leave your regulator mouthpiece face up underwater. So, as ridiculous as it sounds, I thought my octo was free-flowing; but I checked it and it was secured and absolutely fine.

There were few, if any, boats in the area. I don't think it was a boat, but I understand sound waves can be very different underwater. Thanks for your reply. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom