Nocturnal lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaFrog,

The SLX is only a little bit longer than the light heads from the TL series lights so we don't plan on making a LED Canister light anytime soon.

Tamas,

We don't have a goodman style handle, but our customers have made customized hand brackets and helmet mounts before.

Nemrod,

That's a good question. This is the first time I've ever heard anything about the light being invisible to blue eyes. The type of LEDs that you hear people complaining about are mostly the little clustered LEDs that people often sell as backup lights. Those backup lights are generally really weak as they run off 2 AA batteries, and those lights only light up a really small area but not enough to use as a tool for visibility.

NLI Tim:
We don't have a goodman style handle, but our customers have made customized hand brackets and helmet mounts before.

So I take it your "L" bracket is removable then? Got any pics of what has been done?

Yes sir it is, I don't have any pictures of the customized brackets but next time another customer tells me that he's giong to customize a mount I ask them to send me a picture of their creations. Meanwhile, if you want I can take some photos of the light w/o the "L" bracket if you like. If you would like to visualize it just think of it as a smaller version of a 16 oz coke can.

I can't say enough about the quality and worksmanship of the nocturnal lights. They are truly excellent, from top to bottom. Everything fits perfectly, is well machined, meticulously assembled, etc etc... If you're looking at a photo video setup it doesnt get much better than this.

About light.... I find that the TL20 throws light just as white and bright as HIDS in a side by side test. The difference is that to my eyes the HID seems to penetrate farther into the murk.

About bulb cost.... I picked up a handful of different bulbs all for less than 12bucks a piece.

Also another nice option is removing one bulb, and putting a 35 or 50watt bulb in the other lamp head. The twin head provides a LOT of options. Too many options for a guy like me actually. My photography days are behind me, and I'm not really into technical diving so these lights are just overkill for me.

With all that said, I'm selling my nocturnal TL20 twin setup. I bought more light than i really need. I'm downsizing. If I were into photo or video i'd want to be buried with these things. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7210600839&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

And those various bulbs are all included for your experimental pleasure.

-tf

speaking of custom brackets......

I fashioned up a pretty handy handle for my TL20's..... its included with the kit forsale. I'll take a photo of it when I get home.

I took an old snorkel and heated it up with a heat gun. Then crammed the two "L brackets" into the end of the snorkel back to back and let the snorkel plastic cool. This made a nice tight fit that the brackets can be slid in and out of for easy assembly disassembly. Then I reheated the snorkel and bent it into a U shape to form a handle and cut it to size. Drilled a small hole in the middle of the "U" to allow easier removal of air/water when getting in/out from diving. Drilled another hole at the end of the handle for a double snap to easily clip it off to a d ring when i need to free up my hands.

Not sure if that description is adequate or not. It works awesome, weighs, almost nothing, quickly breaks down (10 seconds) and it all fits in the hard case that came with the lights.

Oh and did I mention it cost me uh....nothing in parts to make. Everyone has an old snorkel laying around somewhere.

Hi all,

First off I would like to thank Tim from Nocturnal Lights for all his help and advice on the lights. Tim if you are reading this, I really appreciate all your help but I still have problems sending mail to you with the address you provided to me.

With regards to the SLX how may lumens does it produce and how far can the beam be projected as I am aware of certain tactical LED lights that can project up to 300ft.

Thanks

SangP

Hi Sang,

I'm not sure why I'm not getting your emails, can you just PM me for the time being if you need any assistance?

I'll see if I can get some pictures of the lights up later. My buddy was playing with one of them and he was really amazed at how bright it is and recommend that we sell them to cops and search & rescue.

nexusone:
speaking of custom brackets......

I fashioned up a pretty handy handle for my TL20's..... its included with the kit forsale. I'll take a photo of it when I get home.

I took an old snorkel and heated it up with a heat gun. Then crammed the two "L brackets" into the end of the snorkel back to back and let the snorkel plastic cool. This made a nice tight fit that the brackets can be slid in and out of for easy assembly disassembly. Then I reheated the snorkel and bent it into a U shape to form a handle and cut it to size. Drilled a small hole in the middle of the "U" to allow easier removal of air/water when getting in/out from diving. Drilled another hole at the end of the handle for a double snap to easily clip it off to a d ring when i need to free up my hands.

Not sure if that description is adequate or not. It works awesome, weighs, almost nothing, quickly breaks down (10 seconds) and it all fits in the hard case that came with the lights.

Oh and did I mention it cost me uh....nothing in parts to make. Everyone has an old snorkel laying around somewhere.

Come on now........lets see some pics. Its ok to share:14:

dived on a WW1 j class submarine at 38 mtrs today outside the heads. vis was maybe 3 mtrs but got to compare my SL50 to a 10 watt HID (finally). i had the 50 watt globe in and it absolutely smoked the HID. glad i didn't spend the extra $900. i got all manner of "what-the-hell-is-that-light?" looks when i surfaced.......yeah baby!!!!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom