No such thing as a Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends on the diver's preference.
It also depends on where you are in the world. Around here, you'd be hard pressed to find a tank - be it single, double, stage or pony - with a yoke valve. Same thing with regs.

I'm guessing there's more to this story than meets the eye.

I'm guessing you're right...

I think few would have an objection to a solid diver trying to increase safety. However, just like anything else, there's always a percentage that are doing something for the wrong reasons. If you have a diver that needs a lot of skills work, but is fixated and distracted by a pony because of the coolness factor, that's where someone might play the you're not ready card.

What does it mean to be ready? Who isn't ready to be able to switch to a second reg? Well, a lot of people apparently, at least according to their own posts. I see frequent posts by divers talking about the need to practice using the pony or practice shooting a bag, etc. So a percentage of divers apparently believe switching to a pony requires constant practice, which conversely means they feel these are skills that have to be learned and can be forgotten if not for regular practice. It follows then that the first thing that must be asked when learning any new skill is - Are there prerequisites and have they been met? That makes a full circle back to the question about readiness, which apparently is a legitimate question.

What does it mean to be ready? Who isn't ready to be able to switch to a second reg? Well, a lot of people apparently, at least according to their own posts. I see frequent posts by divers talking about the need to practice using the pony or practice shooting a bag, etc.

Only asking - are you advocating that once you are deemed ready - you don't need to practice any skills (basic or advanced)? That is the way I am interpreting your statement. Not sure I agree with it if that is your position.

Only asking - are you advocating that once you are deemed ready - you don't need to practice any skills (basic or advanced)? That is the way I am interpreting your statement. Not sure I agree with it if that is your position.

I didn't say ANY, just this one...

It depends on where you're coming from. I dive with doubles, stages and deco bottles, and yes, I'm saying switching to a pony is not something I need to practice. Now, I will strap on a bunch of tanks and go practice swimming to make sure I'm in shape, in the zone, and ready for a big swim. I have done that and will continue.

It also depends on where you are in the world. Around here, you'd be hard pressed to find a tank - be it single, double, stage or pony - with a yoke valve. Same thing with regs.

Most newer tanks come with pro valves that have a removable insert. Insert-in they're yoke ... insert-out they're DIN.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Never seen a diver with a DIN pony here in the states. (Now, watch 100 people post that they have them).

Never seen a diver with a DIN pony here in the states. (Now, watch 100 people post that they have them).

LOL... I haven't seen many without!

Most newer tanks come with pro valves that have a removable insert. Insert-in they're yoke ... insert-out they're DIN.
I can't remember ever having seen a yoke reg in use. Since everybody (and his brother) use DIN and yoke regs more or less are special order items these days, I'd estimate that about 99.5% of those inserts would either confuse the customer, or being unscrewed and promptly put somewhere where it's immediately forgotten.

But if you ask, the LDS will of course be happy to order an insert for you...

It all depends where you live and who you hang out with.
Up here it's 50/50. If you hang with rec divers, many have yoke. If you hang with tech or dir folk most would have DIN. I dive with both and find the convertible valves to be a good solution.

Part of the choice is whether you use one set of regs all the time or not, and if all your tanks all have DIN valves. My tanks are a mix because I dive modern regs and vintage single/doublehoses and in all my dives have not had a problem with yokes (or DIN).

I can't remember ever having seen a yoke reg in use. Since everybody (and his brother) use DIN and yoke regs more or less are special order items these days, I'd estimate that about 99.5% of those inserts would either confuse the customer, or being unscrewed and promptly put somewhere where it's immediately forgotten.

But if you ask, the LDS will of course be happy to order an insert for you...

I have long understood that DIN is standard fare in Europe. I suspect that like a lot of things, yoke regs were an American "invention" ... kind've like McDonalds and Walmart ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom