No such thing as a Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would this guy’s underwear be in a twist if you mounted a 13 or 19 Ft³ bailout to your single?

I'm not sure I asked if it would be different if I had it mounted on my tank. At this point all I am concerned about is MY safety, I'm not trying to rock the boat. I do watch my gauge often. I know there is a great debate and have those who say yes and those who say no, I won't forget those who don't care and enjoy watching the debate. For me, it's $1000 insurance policy that for some reason in my diving career I am the person who ends up having a stage failure/reg malfunction/odd incident and my buddy is too focused on taking photographs that I have room to save myself, hopefully get to my buddy and let him/her know I have trouble and ascend safely. If I never ever have to use it, then I've been blessed and it's great.

How can I help him see the difference between a stage bottle and mine?

…How can I help him see the difference between a stage bottle and mine?

Ask the question… but leave out the underwear part. :wink:

Would this guy’s underwear be in a twist if you mounted a 13 or 19 Ft³ bailout to your single?

There “may” be some unartfully expressed concern regarding a slug bottle and your ability to carry it. Since you are ultimately studying to be a DM, the time to don and doff a slung bottle or it interfering with a rescue “could” be a valid concern… like if you weigh 90 Lbs soaking wet.

As a DM/guide, you will be a solo diver with the substantial added liability of babysitting a bunch of divers of unknown ability and temperament. A slung bottle can be a physical barrier to the task. It is much harder to make that argument with a back-mounted bailout.

Dear OP, your instructor is, I hate to say it, an idiot. Find a new place to receive instruction. Life is to short to suffer fools. You are to be applauded for thinking for yourself. N

I find this story incredibly sad. It was my experience, when I began to research and learn, that the dive shop where I had gotten certified, where everyone had been so nice and so supportive, suddenly became judgmental and negative. It was a huge letdown. It got worse as I learned more.

One of the tragedies of diving is that so many people who run shops and teach know so little. Worse, they are so often wedded to the little they know and the way they have "always done it", that they are unwilling to learn, grow, or change.

In my profession, continuing education is mandated, both for one's medicolegal safety, and because the State requires it. In diving, there is no requirement for any continuing education -- if you became an instructor in 1962, you are good to go forever, regardless of how the approach to teaching diving evolves. For example, in our own shop, we have a group of instructors. PADI published an article on early transition to neutral buoyancy in their agency magazine about 2 years ago, and changed the standard for the open water class to reflect the content of that article as of the beginning of 2014. But in our shop, almost all the instructors teach the way they were taught, despite the change in emphasis and curriculum that the agency itself has promulgated.

To the OP -- I am glad you are thinking. I do not use a pony bottle myself, because I have chosen another approach to reliable redundancy. But if this is the route you wish to take, TAKE IT. If your shop can't wrap its head around a redundant air source, find someplace that can. As you say, you are in a region with a lot of advanced diving and advanced instruction. There is no reason to remain in the stone age . . . find someone who can teach a thinking diver, and continue to soak up information and make informed decisions.

I find this story incredibly sad. It was my experience, when I began to research and learn, that the dive shop where I had gotten certified, where everyone had been so nice and so supportive, suddenly became judgmental and negative. It was a huge letdown. It got worse as I learned more.

Interesting, I'd like to know more of your thoughts on this if you're willing to share. I've also had similar reactions - an almost adversarial sentiment in some shops. I've always chalked it up to the incessant dick measuring that seems to permeate the sport; which I think is a result of the training pyramid scheme hawked by training agencies.

Interesting, I'd like to know more of your thoughts on this if you're willing to share. I've also had similar reactions - an almost adversarial sentiment in some shops. I've always chalked it up to the incessant dick measuring that seems to permeate the sport; which I think is a result of the training pyramid scheme hawked by training agencies.

Reminds me of a Google ad I saw today: IMG_1480.jpg

<snip> I was left on my first open water dive when my buddy had low air and the instructors left me alone at 80 feet while helping them. That whole stick with your buddy thing doesn't always happen.

"The maximum planned depth for Open Water Dives 1 and 2 must not exceed 12 metres/40 feet." Pulled that from:

ftp://207.215.212.62/stuff/PADI/DIM/Guides/OpenWatr.pdf

Sounded a little much to me for OW 1st dive.

Have you done any shallow open water dives with your pony?

let me see if I understand this. If I go OOA because I'm stupid I can't use my pony and must die ?

Ever heard of CESA? Nobody must die. You won't die if you just follow things they teach in basic OW class. Or.. no... you actually may need to carry 2 pony bottles. What if you go OOA on first pony?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom