No pony on solo shallow teeth dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@JamesBon92007 I am flattered, but unfortunately I must have given the impression that I am more techy than I am: I have yet to learn how to work on valves or regulators! But as for solo diving in shallow water: I finally did it on a mammoth drive and dive trip where I went solo diving at Lauderdale by the Sea and then up to Blue Heron Bridge to catch the high tide. My Lauderdale by the Sea dive was solo and it was epic and everything I had fantasized about: it was so shallow that I laughed at myself for even worrying about having a pony, and I ran it as a gentle drift dive, swimming into the current, and riding it back, surfacing almost exactly where I had descended. I was alone with the fish, and I think for a moment or two I actually turned into one. Bliss…

@aquacat8 Judging from your posts you clearly have a brain and know how to use it. :)

I suppose an O-ring is technical, but it is also very simple. Personally I think it's one of the most brilliant engineering accomplishments of mankind.

As for reading a gauge in low viz I know a guy here who tooth dives in the black water and he holds his gauge right up to his mask to see if it is in the red LOL

@aquacat8 Judging from your posts you clearly have a brain and know how to use it. :)

I suppose an O-ring is technical, but it is also very simple. Personally I think it's one of the most brilliant engineering accomplishments of mankind.
You think about it a mask is basically a big o ring type seal, and where would we be without that!

As for reading a gauge in low viz I know a guy here who tooth dives in the black water and he holds his gauge right up to his mask to see if it is in the red LOL

Is this zero vis diving you are doing to find shark teeth? If so, how do you find the teeth if you can't seem them? I suppose in that case a J-valve could be very useful!

Is this zero vis diving you are doing to find shark teeth? If so, how do you find the teeth if you can't seem them?

I've never done it and I know the question isn't directed at me but I think I can make a fairly good guess as to how a diver would go about locating shark teeth without being able to see them.

I haven’t done it yet but it is something the fearless redneck locals do. They know where to search and they feel for triangles in the dark. A good day might have a tiny bit of visibility for a bright light, but lights can also make it worse.

I have been scared to try because I think of the ghost nets that wash up and the hurricane debris and tree strainers that might be down there. They don’t worry about these things, or redundancy, or buddy contact, or surface support, or probably servicing their gear very often.

They may have a rope so they can circle an anchor, or be creeping forward in whipping current. They find really big teeth and stuff them in the pockets of cargo pants secured at the ankles with rubber bands LOL.

I've never done it and I know the question isn't directed at me but I think I can make a fairly good guess as to how a diver would go about locating shark teeth without being able to see them.

Just cut yourself and wait for the sharks to come?

I haven’t done it yet but it is something the fearless redneck locals do. They know where to search and they feel for triangles in the dark. A good day might have a tiny bit of visibility for a bright light, but lights can also make it worse.

I have been scared to try because I think of the ghost nets that wash up and the hurricane debris and tree strainers that might be down there. They don’t worry about these things, or redundancy, or buddy contact, or surface support, or probably servicing their gear very often.

They may have a rope so they can circle an anchor, or be creeping forward in whipping current. They find really big teeth and stuff them in the pockets of cargo pants secured at the ankles with rubber bands LOL.

I have visions of rednecks using a regulator made from an old welding rig and some radiator hose. I'm not even that bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom