No pony on solo shallow teeth dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquacat8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey solo beach divers and Venice tooth divers... do you drag a pony along? We’re talking 18-25 feet here, a short CESA maybe, but a beach hike for sure. I have a hard enough time hiking minimal gear, I’m thinking no pony. Your thoughts?

Watching this with educational interest - I have no familiarity with the diving there, but bring up the question of "dangerous overhead"? Is there a frequency of boats that surfacing might be risky, but being able to swim to a "safer area" would be beneficial?

If you don't want to get a ticket from the lifeguards there, you better have a SMB deployed, which would hopefully minimize surface traffic affecting your CESA.

But more on point, I'm just going to sit back and watch the "YOU'RE GONNA DIE" posts roll in, as sb does. :popcorn:

Hey solo beach divers and Venice tooth divers... do you drag a pony along? We’re talking 18-25 feet here, a short CESA maybe, but a beach hike for sure. I have a hard enough time hiking minimal gear, I’m thinking no pony. Your thoughts?

What is "Venice tooth?" Is it a cave?

Lol if you are strong enough to drag the gear down a beach in 90 plus degree heat, I bet you can swim up 15 ft. Plus it is super shallow you will probably be in 8 to 15 ft of water. A long snorkel would probably work

On dives where I'm confident I can use the surface as a secondary air source I will plan the dive that way.

Boat traffic (Not famous for avoiding dive flags) in my redundant air source make me nervous and I carry a pony. The same goes for entanglement or overhead. If I can't be sure I'm a breath away from the surface, it's pony time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom