No pony on solo shallow teeth dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes but I read that although it begins offshore, once it blows in it feeds on the nutrients from Lake O and run off... which is why it is lasting so much longer and therefore killing more.

Nope. Read up on FWC and Mote Marine's websites. It does not feed off nitrates and phosphates like traditional marine bacteria. Once on shore it can, but by then there's so much dead marine life from offshore it has an endless supply of food.

I know it's hard for people to wrap their head around it. Fish kills? It must be man made! But the truth is the natual world can be ruthless. Dont get me wrong, I want to see us doing a better job managing agricultural runoff, but at the same time we need to be truthful. Blaming red tide on farming is dishonest.

Red Tide FAQ

Has coastal (nutrient) pollution caused the Florida red tide?
In contrast to the many red tide species that are fueled by nutrient pollution associated with urban or agricultural runoff, there is no direct link between nutrient pollution and the frequency or severity of red tides caused by K. brevis. Florida red tides develop 10-40 miles offshore, away from man-made nutrient sources. Red tides occurred in Florida long before human settlement, and severe red tides were observed in the mid-1900s before the state’s coastlines were heavily developed. However, once red tides are transported inshore, they are capable of using man-made nutrients for their growth.​

Last edited:
Nature red in tooth and claw, eh?

It might be factually incorrect but it's not dishonest if the person who says it believes it to be true.

Indeed, science and beliefs are often at odds. Unfortunately, many people (mostly those that want power) who know the truth are acting like they believe something different simply for politics.

The only time I've done a boneyard dive solo I was in full doubles. Now that I actually own a pony, I'd probably use a backmount single and the pony. I wouldn't crap on anyone's cornflakes if they chose to do a 15' dive solo without a pony. At 15' it might be easier and quicker just to surface than to break out a pony anyway. Certainly the difference would be negligible I think. Maybe I'm wrong, as I've never had to use the pony for real nor have I had to do a cesa for real.

I will say that this is an example of a dive where I really like to have a DC with audible alarms. Haptic would be a nice boon, but I don't own a computer with that feature yet. That way it could get my attention if I somehow screw up and get low on gas. Not that I've ever let it happen, but alarms seem like a nice backup plan.

The dike on the lake has been an issue for a long time. I don’t think for a second that nutrients from development have not severely impacted the marine environment. The governor has tried very very hard to reduce environmental regulations and promote policies that allow increased water pollution from runoff. He has been effective in that regard.

I will say that this is an example of a dive where I really like to have a DC with audible alarms. Haptic would be a nice boon, but I don't own a computer with that feature yet. That way it could get my attention if I somehow screw up and get low on gas. Not that I've ever let it happen, but alarms seem like a nice backup plan.

I still keep a couple of tanks with j-valves, an old school 72 and my Faber 95 that I use as my boat tank. I use them with my old doublehose or when i have to deal with zero viz.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom