(No) Oil in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe this entire issue is the logical extension of the local police in Bonaire who are doing little to stop crimes against tourists (particularly divers) on the island. It appears to be the work of a local gang there and the police are doing nothing to stop them.

Last edited:
Can't get to the link from work.. but just the title has me a little peeved. I, the tax payer, pay the salaries of the armed forces, including the Coast Guard, but the private sector is allowed to make the rules? Who is getting paid off?

Perhaps you should read the article and research the facts before getting pissed off, IJS.

Can't get to the link from work.. but just the title has me a little peeved. I, the tax payer, pay the salaries of the armed forces, including the Coast Guard, but the private sector is allowed to make the rules? Who is getting paid off?

BP is utilizing it's vast resources to lead in the effort in containment and clean up. The federal goverment has already indicated that they do not have the expertise or infrastructure to get involved. Preventing CBS & other non-embedded press from getting in the way of this effort is has some justification IMO..

Last edited:
thanks Debby

From the article:
"Unlike the response to other past national disasters such as Hurricane Katrina where the government was in charge," the McClatchy story continues, "BP has been designated as the 'responsible party' under federal law and is overseeing much of the response to the spill. The government is acting more as an adviser. So far, the government has been slow to press BP to release its data and permit others to evaluate the extent of the crisis."

An analogy.. if I am the overseerer of my kid cleaning up her room and she doesn't do it in a timely manner or in a way that is shoddy, she will be held responsible, and there are consequenses to pay. Often I will step in with corrective actions and with the intend of getting the desired results... NOW. I don't sit around waiting for her to do as she pleases, when she pleases.

This is OUR land, not BP's. Time for our gov't to stand up to the task and be the leaders they have promised, and been voted (by the people) to take.

BP is utilizing it's vast resources to lead in the effort in containment and clean up. The federal goverment has already indicated that they do not have the expertise or infrastructure to get involved....

thank you for the summary.

I just clicked it again and it worked. Maybe it will work now

Certainly.

In 2008 and 2009 there were 667 and 681 reports respectively of oil and petroleum incidents along Florida’s waterways and beaches so these occurrences are not unusual. Specifically in the Florida Keys (Monroe County) there were 53 incidents in 2008 and 72 incidents in 2009 of oil and petroleum products being reported in their coastal waters.
Obviously the Keys have been getting oil from the spill way before it happened! I always knew that they were ahead of their times!

ITK is coming up, and I plan to dive the Keys. Perhaps I won't need suntan oil, but I will be diving! :D

Okay, here I reluctantly play devil's advocate . . . speaking of military experience and policy training on interacting with media:

1. Do we know that the Coast Guard were not off-duty, hired as 'security' by BP, much as Law Enforcement is hired for security in gatherings?

2. Right now, there's a lot of work to be done in the Louisana area . . . do you really want every Tom, Dick, and Harry running around in there, perhaps becoming 'oil victims' themselves?

3. Just look at the "outrage-inflaming" headline of Coast Guard under BP rules. Is there any doubt that the headline was written for the sole reason of inflaming readers? There is a disturbing trend in media and politics to engender "outrage" because the less-informed become reactive, and it is attention-getting (and sells!). The very fact that CBS failed to follow up on it lends credence that the story was way out of line.

One thing I can say is that if BP wants the Army Corps of Engineers to pump sand on the beach and create oil separation berms, BP has to reimburse the government. If LA gov requests that support through the Feds, the Feds (and taxpayers) eat the cost. (Yeah, yeah, if LA asks for the ACoE, the feds can still go back for reimbursement from BP, but that would probably go to court and the Fed gov't will roll over.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom