No notification for deleted posts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I was not insinuating anything about you doing things for shock value.

I was merely hinting at a poll to put your offer of "letting the masses decide" come to fruition.

Now let's add some reality.

We found out a way for her to put the other person on ignore. That took a LOT OF EFFORT and ingenuity by the very same mod whose character you impugned and have still not apologized to.

We changed her name for her. We offered to create a new account.

Now, you may see this as doing nothing to try to resolve the situation or as an indication that we have not taken this seriously, but I take exception to that account. I would imagine that we have spent far more time trying to resolve this situation than any other single issue over the past year, with the exception of dealing with the server crashes.

Frankly, I don't see asking someone to communicate as a form of harassment and I am not about to ban them for making overtures of trying to renew a friendship. Harassment includes ridicule, criticism, threats and the like. There was nothing like that involved here.

Now here is the curious part. You claim that Gidds has left ScubaBoard. Then what's the issue? If she is no longer reading us then no matter HOW many times a request is made, she shouldn't be bothered. She has effectively put the entire forum on the ultimate ignore. I dare say that you have done MORE to inflame the issue by taking us to task out in the open than any single thing either of these two ladies have done. That's your choice, but I can't say that I understand the logic behind it.

Now I have one thing to ask: What do you want done here?

NetDoc:
Now let's add some reality.

We found out a way for her to put the other person on ignore. That took a LOT OF EFFORT and ingenuity by the very same mod whose character you impugned and have still not apologized to.

We changed her name for her. We offered to create a new account.

not entirely accurate. she created a "sock puppet" and a MOD allowed her to keep it on the condition that she not use the Gidds account. this worked for a while, until it was leaked, and the trouble began again.

NetDoc:
Now, you may see this as doing nothing to try to resolve the situation or as an indication that we have not taken this seriously, but I take exception to that account. I would imagine that we have spent far more time trying to resolve this situation than any other single issue over the past year, with the exception of dealing with the server crashes.

and again, all that is wanted is contact to not continue. yet it persists, and the perrson pushing the issue is being defended, while the person who has done everything to avoid a problem, is made out to be the instigator.

NetDoc:
Frankly, I don't see asking someone to communicate as a form of harassment and I am not about to ban them for making overtures of trying to renew a friendship. Harassment includes ridicule, criticism, threats and the like. There was nothing like that involved here.

The contact is not welcome, period. I am not asking for banning. Harassment doesn't have to include ridicule criticism or threats. As the link you provided shows,
1. to disturb persistently; torment, as with troubles or cares; bother continually; pester; persecute.

Here, in the link YOU provided, all that is needed to meet the criteria of harassment, is to be pestered. Yet you decide that you will alter the definition to suit your needs.

If a male SB member was persistantly attempt to communicate with a female SB member who expressed thier interest in zero contact, I am sure you would take it more seriously. Even if the man was to say he was just trying to rekindle their friendship.

NetDoc:
Now here is the curious part. You claim that Gidds has left ScubaBoard. Then what's the issue? If she is no longer reading us then no matter HOW many times a request is made, she shouldn't be bothered. She has effectively put the entire forum on the ultimate ignore. I dare say that you have done MORE to inflame the issue by taking us to task out in the open than any single thing either of these two ladies have done. That's your choice, but I can't say that I understand the logic behind it.

Now I have one thing to ask: What do you want done here?

Yes, she has left ScubaBoard. And this wasn't enough for the other person. She continues to attempt to contact Gidds. Even by placing a false plea. I have asked in private, and it is left to continue. While Gidds has, as you put it, put ScubaBoard on the ultimate ignore, the other person still looks for ways, via SB to make contact. All I asked was for it to be curbed. Then you tell me I am asking too much for this to be done in a timely manner.

All I ask, is what was asked before. If this person tries to use SB as a means to continue to (I'll use pester, instead of harass, you seem to not like harass, since that IS in the TOS) pester Gidds, that you do what you can to prevent it.

I made the troublesome request that an SB member's name be removed from a thread, where it didn't belong. That small request took 12 hours and several PMs to complete.

I am sorry that trying to do this the right way via PM and email didn't work. I had sent you an email first, and recieved no response. Only here was I able to get your attention. So, do not blame me for this, for getting to you by the one means that worked.

photohikedive:
I am sorry that trying to do this the right way via PM and email didn't work.
Again, let's try for ACCURACY. That "small request" was accomplished. The mod in question investigated the incident and took appropriate action within a 24 hour period. Your participation in this thread happened AFTER we edited the post in question. Again I ask, WHAT MORE DID YOU WANT US TO DO? If somehow we have accomplished all that you required of us, then why do you feel that somehow you are being ignored? Why do you blame ME for having to respond to all of your false accusations? Again, I just don't see the logic in your actions.

What I think is entirely unfair is that this person has made numerous, hurtful comments to at least two people I know of, yes, myself included. Yet nothing was done. When the hurtful post was reported, I now became known as a "button pusher" which was posted in a thread that I used to hang out in a lot. I now no longer support scubaboard and rarely visit. I've met a lot of great people here and it's shameful that one person can make it uncomfortable for so many others and face no consequence.

NetDoc:
ScubaBoard is a WONDERFUL resource and it's a shame when someone cuts them self off from it. Like any large community (we are bigger than many towns, you know) there are going to be people you like and dislike. I don't know that I would leave a city just because I don't like the guy down the road. Rather, I learn to ignore him.

I agree with this statement, and I've said to some people that have become "disillusioned" with the community, that they shouldn't take things so personally. But sometimes it's hard not to.

I also think that it seems like some people get a "most favored nation" status, while others are given extended vacations.

Don't get me wrong, I love the board, and I think that the staff is doing a great job; but I also think that some people can "snow" the staff to skew the story in their favor, and ultimately; someone gets hurt.

howarde:
but I also think that some people can "snow" the staff to skew the story in their favor, and ultimately; someone gets hurt.
There is no doubt that people try to deceive us and that some will actually succeed. We are, after all human.

It's one thing to point out our errors, and we do try to accept such criticisms gracefully and implement reasonable suggestions that appear to resolve any number of issues. What I can't accept gracefully is a continual assigning of motives to staff that are simply not there. They work hard, they do their best and have largely succeeded in providing the friendliest forum on the internet, dive related or not.

Again, I have let this matter go on beyond what it deserved. I appologise to everyone for making such a big issue of it.

To the MOD that I offended. I am sorry. I did not mean to imply you have any animosity towards Gidds or myself.

I have been asked to let the matter rest. And at this point I will. Any more conversation about it merely feeds the problem, and if there is intent to harass, I am aiding it, not stopping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom