No LDS, Where to Get Tank Refilled?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, my LDS is closing their doors, so I'm pretty much stuck. Where can I get my tanks refilled? There's a place that fills paintball tanks...should I go see them? The next dive shop is 45 minutes away, which is a tough drive for a $5 refill. Any suggestions?

45 minutes ain't bad! Hell, in San Antonio the dive shop is 17 miles away and that's about a 30-45 minute drive on most days.

I would not get my tanks filled at a paintball place unless they filter the air and have it quality checked routinely. Someone else mentioned that and I agree. You don't want petroleum based impurities introduced to your tank, regs and lungs.

I have nothing against buying online, but ...

You have adds for 2 online shops as your signature. I'm guessing the only reason you ever went to the LDS was for air. Air isn't enough business to keep a shop open.

Like others have said, try the paintball place first. If that does'nt work out talk to your local fire dept. You may have to buy your own SCBA to Yoke adapter but you can get them at LeisurePro pretty cheap.

If you are a frequent diver though, I'd seriously consider buying your own compressor. You can get a small one for $3000 new or if you shop maybe find a used one for $2000 or so.

I can't even begin to tell you how nice it is to just unload one time at home and fill them yourself. It sure beats all the loading and unloading and then loading and unloading to get them filled. :wink:

Yep, my LDS is closing their doors, so I'm pretty much stuck. Where can I get my tanks refilled? There's a place that fills paintball tanks...should I go see them? The next dive shop is 45 minutes away, which is a tough drive for a $5 refill. Any suggestions?

As has been mentioned, you have three locations in your profile. Here's a list of some of the shops between CT, Boston, and Cape Cod:Dive Clubs & Shops,, I know that there are others.

If you're looking for a $5 fill you may have to search for awhile.

Good Luck.

Have you tried Liesure Pro, or Scuba Toys?... Using the USB2 air hose seems to be your best bet... You probably have a number of places in your area... If I see one LDS, I see 20 in the same area (or was that Internet search... dang)

Have you tried Liesure Pro, or Scuba Toys?... Using the USB2 air hose seems to be your best bet... You probably have a number of places in your area... If I see one LDS, I see 20 in the same area (or was that Internet search... dang)

Thats the future for local divers as more people use internet sales rather than supporting a LDS..So now you have to drive a distance to get a simple air fill,so it comes down to either support the LDS with your patronage or support the local gas station to get gas for your car..Probably cost more now to support the gas station..

45 minutes isn't bad if you have a number of tanks.

Assuming there might be more than a handful of other diver in your "CT, Boston & Cape Cod" area, why don't you talk to the paintball pumper about expanding his capability for scuba. That closed shop should have the components for sale at a good price unless there is some serious competition to fill the void.

I always have to drive at least 45 minutes to get tanks filled. Thats why I know have 5 tanks, and am always looking for deals on more tanks.

Your are kidding right? There are plenty of shops in Ma alone! Buy a couple of extra (used?) tanks and get get them filled less often. Stop moaning and dive. A 45 minute drive just barely gets the engine warm anyway.

Goodness! There are several factors cropping up here which I think people don't understand.

1. No shop is entitled to make a profit, much less, survive.
2. A bad shop (high prices, poor customer service) is less likely to survive.
3. Bad shops still offer air. Is it wrong for a bad shop to fail? Should divers support a bad shop just because we need air?
4. In the modern era, ANY shops can have an online presence. Note that LP and ST both are brick and mortar shops with an online presence. Complaining about supporting "online" shops is stupid in those two cases, s they are not purelyonline shops.
5. Just because a user buys things from other stores, that does not mean he has not spent some amount of money at his LDS. You all are jumping to conclusions, I believe. Personally, I buy some things from online shops, such as my 7 foot hose, mask and booties. However, I bought a bp/w, two tanks and instruction from a local shop, about $1400 worth. It is possible for me to support multiple shops.

Please stop crucifying the guy for wondering where to get air, there are many reasons the shop could have closed, but capitalism tells us that when a shop closes it is usually for the better good inthe long run, as consumers typically support the good shops. I'm sure we can find this guy somewhere to get air!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom