No Diving Due to Bacteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacalifornia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Driving home tonight, I was listening to news radio and a marine expert was suggesting the 72-hour post-rain waiting period was not long enough due to extreme bacteria levels. He was recommending a 2 week wait. Ouch! Then, I was at the South OC Dive Club Meeting tonight, and an announcement was made that all beaches are closed for at least a week. I'm not sure what source that information came from, but I'm sure it's credible. Back to jonesin' again. :sad_2:
Kevin

Well I for one spent many a day in the waves after storms so although I beleive that the bacteria levels are higher than normal, I don't believe I am at an elevated risk because of it. I also don't beleive in antibacterial soap or not letting your kids play in the mud. I was lucky enough to grow up as a kid exposed to all kinds of STUFF that has givin me a hell of an immune system.

Sometimes overly cautious parents short change their kids in the long run.

I am not a scientist, biologist, immuninalogist or any "ist" for that matter. These are just my uneducated observations.

Oh, and I am diving tomorrow night. Ya'll come down, won't ya? And if I end up with a nasty staph infection, you can all say " I told ya so!!"

Terry

Personally, I have never felt too concerned about the bacteria in our cold water (much worse in the tropics)... just the visibility after a storm. I am a scientist, but this is my passion speaking not my mind.

Out here on Catalina I don't think we face the same problems as you do on the mainland.

Dr. Bill

The Laguna Beach lifeguard recorded surf conditions said yesterday that the beaches are closed to diving due to runoff. No indication of how long that will last.

Gotta love those So Cal Beaches! I feel for you guys-That sucks! :11:

divinman:
You notice that much of this image is un inhabited hills sides and the brown is most likely the clay washing into the surf...... clay and dirt I can handle.

I am going to respectfully disagree with you. The plumes off LA and OC are mainly from the rivers and creeks that have been filled with upstream sewage overflows, NPS pollution (everything that washes across the watersheds and into the waterways, including dog poop, fertilizers, chemicals, and various crud.) The bacteria levels are much higher than they've been during other rain events. The sewage overflows are the most bothersome. That is dirty water that should have remained contained and treated, but overflowed instead.

I wonder when today's photo will come out. I want to see the difference between today and yesterday. I am most curious about the plume that appeared to be heading toward Avalon yesterday! It appears to me that the best place to dive this weekend will be off a boat that can get away from the plumes!

Certainly this is a serious issue on mainland beach areas and dive sites. I agree with the cautions about diving there (last time I did so was 1969 anyway). Interested in the plume that is extending towards Avalon... gulp!

I am blessed with an excellent immune system and rarely get any illnesses or infections (except in tropical waters). Others may not be so blessed.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom