No Diving Due to Bacteria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went diving tonight. Not much froth (I have seen and dived in worse) and conditions on top of the ocean were fine. Vis was pretty low, but I had a great time.
Everyone should decide to dive or not based upon their own judgements. If your on the fence, you might as well stay there since you're going to be dissapointed anyway due to the poor vis. I think the vis should improve by the weekend, and of course I am diving again then!

The down side is that another storm is comming, so you may be waiting longer... Then think of the 24 feet of snow that will be melting away down those storm drains right into the ocean... I am not concerned, but I know some will be!

Dive safely!

Laguna Beach Lifeguard tower at main beach had a green flag flying at 8:00 this morning. And conditions were similar to Lake Laguna. Don't know about the viz though.

Yeah, looking at the webcam it's totally flat. Gorgeous day, too. This just ain't fair. Laguna Sea Sports says 6-8 ft. visibility, and the lifeguards are saying the same thing.

But the San Gabriel river is still pumping lots of brown water today. Santa Ana probably the same, since they're releasing a bunch of water from the Prado Dam to keep it from going wacky. Should be a good satellite image today since it's so clear.

Maybe someone will take one for the team and go in tomorrow and give us a floater report.

I went out today and decided not to get in the water. The ocean was flat and winds were from the North, so hopefully it will remain flat long enough for the sediments to settle. We found lots of green and brown water off the south side of P.V.

I will post a dive report tomorrow on old marine land. Diving at 0800 a.m.

MaxBottomtime:
I went out today and decided not to get in the water. The ocean was flat and winds were from the North, so hopefully it will remain flat long enough for the sediments to settle. We found lots of green and brown water off the south side of P.V.
Check out the North side of PV...I kayaked from RAT beach to the Dominator wreck and back today...from noon to 3Pm, and the water clarity was beautiful. Flat rock had NO surf, 20-25 foot vertical viz. It was like kayaking over an aquarium with many Garibaldi, senoritas, opal eye clearly visible. There were some confined spots that were a little cloudy, but they were small and it was mostly beautiful. The Dominator debris was clearly visible in 15 - 20 fsw. The outside of the kelp beds, where the lobster traps started, looked to be about 30 feet deep and the bottom was "just" visible. It was hard to keep paddling because the water was so glassy and clear that is was mesmerizing. Hope it stays that way tomorrow, 'cause I'm going kayaking again. (Ear congestion's keeping me at 1ATM, so diving's out.)
Have fun...keep looking! Bet Pasley's going to have a good report to post...

Diving La Jolla Shores on Sat and Sun morning. I'll post if anything unusual, scummy or radioactive.

Worst nightmare >> :toilet

mccabejc:
Yeah, looking at the webcam it's totally flat. Gorgeous day, too. This just ain't fair. Laguna Sea Sports says 6-8 ft. visibility, and the lifeguards are saying the same thing.

But the San Gabriel river is still pumping lots of brown water today. Santa Ana probably the same, since they're releasing a bunch of water from the Prado Dam to keep it from going wacky. Should be a good satellite image today since it's so clear.

Maybe someone will take one for the team and go in tomorrow and give us a floater report.

Laguna Lifeguards get their underwater conditions info from Gordy at LSS, so it is not surprising that you would see the same vis info. The conditions are from reports from Shaws Cove and nowhere else in Laguna. I wouild suggest diving Crescent Bay and judge for yourself. Crescent is one of the only beaches in Laguna that consistently gets A ratings during wet and post rain events. I will be there tomorrow (Sunday) and will post a report of conditions when I get back.
Robb

if you guys need water quality reports check out surfrider.org ive dove in some nasty water and never gotten sick, you just gotta weight whats important to you, diving, or being a lazy bum and sitting at home on the computer spending money you dont have :)

I was at Crescent today guys - viz was less than good. Definitely lake laguna and very little surge. But I'm guess viz was 4-6 range tops. Dive report was posted, if ya'd like more details. I didn't notice any strange odors from the water nor did I see a "brown haze".

As far as bacteria - currently still feel fine - no weird red blotches, bumps, rashes, or internal troubles. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom