No certificate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fin-in:
Fair question,I am thinking of getting a certification,I know all about diving,been doing it self taught sorta. I had a job scooping up golf balls once and the man gave me his old gear so been diving in some lakes.
Gary,
I know you may have been diving awhile. But if you know all about it, you know you could embolize in 4 -5 feet of water. Do you know what mediastinal Emphysema is or subcutaneous Emphysema, Or how about lipnoid pneumonia or even a pneumothorax. All of these are diving related questions. I still teach these in a basic openwater course. Not as a test subject, however I think a person needs to know what they are and the cause. I will tell you they are not uncommon.
Take a course......

Tony "D"

howarde:
I get nitrox fills w/o showing a card. I won't say where... But they've never asked to see my card.
Yep and I have been diving many places without showing my cert card. However, there are even more places that require it and it is a real pain to waste quality diving/holiday time getting around what is a pretty simple and inexpensive requirement - and one that might actually teach someone something they might not know.

captain:
Most certified unlimited vis warm water divers would probably be apprehensive in a 15 foot deep zero vis water hazard.

Realistically, The only diver who shouldn't be apprehensive in zero viz is a cave trained diver wearing doubles.
To save time and nasty flames, there is a difference between "apprehensive" (being alert) and "screaming panic" (way bad).

The inability to get air fills and charter trips is a seperate issue and either certification or a personal compressor will solve it.

Buying a compressor is a complicated way to save 250 bucks and a few weekends. Probably would have to checked through on most American airlines, you won't be able to carry it in the cabin.

Tony "D":
Gary,
I know you may have been diving awhile. But if you know all about it, you know you could embolize in 4 -5 feet of water. Do you know what mediastinal Emphysema is or subcutaneous Emphysema, Or how about lipnoid pneumonia or even a pneumothorax. All of these are diving related questions. I still teach these in a basic openwater course. Not as a test subject, however I think a person needs to know what they are and the cause. I will tell you they are not uncommon.
Take a course......

Tony "D"

Hehe, Tony, you must have one heck of a course! The only reason I know what those items are is because in a prior life, I was paramedic. Even Basic EMT's might get lost with some of those even though they shouldn't.

caseybird:
Realistically, The only diver who shouldn't be apprehensive in zero viz is a cave trained diver wearing doubles.
To save time and nasty flames, there is a difference between "apprehensive" (being alert) and "screaming panic" (way bad).

Buying a compressor is a complicated way to save 250 bucks and a few weekends. Probably would have to checked through on most American airlines, you won't be able to carry it in the cabin.

I don't think you have to be a trained cave diver with doubles to feel comfortable in 15feet of dark water. I am not cave trained and don't do caves but dark water doesn't bother me, just the alligators.

Maybe some don't care to go to some tropical reef. In my 40+ years of diving I have made only about four dive trips that I had to fly. For me personally once I have seen one tropical reef I've seen them all. Where ever I dive in the states I drive and bring my compressor and if needed my boat.

redhawktwo:
Hehe, Tony, you must have one heck of a course! The only reason I know what those items are is because in a prior life, I was paramedic. Even Basic EMT's might get lost with some of those even though they shouldn't.

These were all subject matter in the course I took.
I believe that the test included some if not all these as well.

captain:
I don't think you have to be a trained cave diver with doubles to feel comfortable in 15feet of dark water. I am not cave trained and don't do caves but dark water doesn't bother me, just the alligators.

Is it the diving with the gators that bothers you?
Or the fact that they can see in the water that we consider "dark"?

I personally don't mind the gators as they do not seem to like to go very deep.
But if I can't see I figure I'm just wasting time.
My rule is if I can't see I don't dive.

captain:
Maybe some don't care to go to some tropical reef. In my 40+ years of diving I have made only about four dive trips that I had to fly. For me personally once I have seen one tropical reef I've seen them all. Where ever I dive in the states I drive and bring my compressor and if needed my boat.

Not true at all. Every reef I've been on is different,sometimes just a different area of the same reef can be like a different world.
But then, some people say that all caves look alike "wet rock"
But I think they are as well individually interesting and differ from one another greatly as well.

captain:

Dark is not the same as zero viz. Zero viz means I can't see my hand in front of my mask. Since you can't possibly find a buddy in that situation, you must have completely redundant air, hence doubles. Cave training is a good thing if you choose to put yourself in that environment.

Can't get that boat on the airplane either. Unless you own one of them too.

Fin-in, in regards to your other thread, please don't go wreck diving without any kind of training/certification.

Think y'all scared him off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom