NJ Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And for everyone's enjoyment, here's a video someone took on a boat in August. Notice the guy in the lower-right hand corner... It was his first NorthEast dive (had only dove in Hawaii) and was not prepared for the weather. Granted, it was raining crabs and lobsters and the waves were big (we had to pull after the first dive cause it was too rough to put more divers in).

https://phillybobspics.shutterfly.com/pictures/1859

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha, yep that's getting a little bit sporty! The climb up the ladder would be surely be memorable!

And for everyone's enjoyment, here's a video someone took on a boat in August. Notice the guy in the lower-right hand corner... It was his first NorthEast dive (had only dove in Hawaii) and was not prepared for the weather. Granted, it was raining crabs and lobsters and the waves were big (we had to pull after the first dive cause it was too rough to put more divers in).

Nice - I keep trying to tell the Hawaii divers about what actual current and rough conditions are, but nobody out here really gets it. Last year we endured an hour+ run out to an easy wreck site on Oahu only to have the captain scrub the dive upon arrival...out of fear they'd be unable to recover single tank divers up a nicer ladder than shown in your video...in seas maybe 2/3s as big :shakehead:

I have to say that there is some good advice here, the only thing I would add is to enjoy yourself but try to keep close with other more experienced divers. Remember that the best way to gain experience is to watch other more experienced divers underwater and do not venture into areas above your training.

That's the plan. Hopefully there are some experienced guys on the boat. Between the captain, crew, and other divers, I hope to learn a lot.

---------- Post added September 9th, 2014 at 11:20 PM ----------

Be prepared for anything. There's a reason the NYNJ dive scene has a colorful history and inspires heated debate (re fire vs taj). There are some hard and fast rules, but you'll learn for yourself what works over time. Keep your expectation realistic however. Don't be a Zero to Hero diver (which seems like you're not) but take the concept of progressive penetration and adapt it. For your first dive, take a slow descent, keep your eyes open.

Study the Carolina rig as you're making your way down the line. I've seen many novice divers come back up the line all the way to where the bow is tied in. A Carolina rig separates from the anchor line and runs under the boat to the stern at about 15ft depth. Pay attention to this as you're making your way down initially.

Study the area that you're tied into on the bottom. Either you or buddy need to run a line (keep it tight - lines with excess slack WILL kink and tangle in your reel). If that happens, don't panic - remain calm. Don't fix it underwater. Try not to cross other lines or leave yours suspended high in the water.

If you're on a wreck with decent relief (it rises off the bottom a good bit) if there's current, find the side of the ship opposite the current and stay on that side. If it's really bad, don't stray too far from the anchor, and do whatever you can to get back to the anchor line for ascent. Strong Current plus Free Ascent will ruin your day (and potentially night as well) as you float around the Atlantic waiting for the boat to find you.

Not trying to scare you - but being realistic. This is a really, really incredible region for diving - if you're prepared, knowledgeable and competent. This is a place where complacency has and does kill.

Thank you for this post. This is exactly the kind of encouragement riddled with caution that I was looking for, as odd as that sounds. I am excited to check out a wreck, but I'm also cautious about the reality of the type of dive. Given that I have not done this type of diving in the ocean yet, I have been trying to work on the individual skills that must be done simultaneously, as much as possible. Next step is to just dive, hopefully with the good advice of other divers, and those on the boat.

I am enjoying working towards my AOW certification by training and experience, and I feel that I will be a bit more proud of the accomplishment as a whole then taking my other LDS's AOW weekend.

Thanks again for your post BugHunterNY.

Is this a first time Atlantic Ocean dive for both you and your buddy ? I would be a little more concerned if neither of you have experience in a low Viz, high current, low temp situation. As I am sure you have heard conditions can vary from 20 feet viz with no current two no viz with ripping current.

I know that The Scuba Connection used to run a course called NJ boat diver - or something like that- that effectively was a rent an experienced DM for the day to help you navigate every aspect from preparation to arrival to buddying with you on the dive. If you are interested I am sure Wayne or Jason at the Scuba Connection could give you more information.

Good Luck...I gave up on the idea of NJ wreck diving when I realized I would have to rise at 5am just to get to the boat on time :)

...//...Try not to cross other lines or leave yours suspended high in the water. ...//...

You can cross other's lines if you cross under all lines and run your line through the junk so that your line will stay put. Just don't overdo line placement, an easy pull in the proper direction should free the line on the way back. Wreck line is heavier for cut resistance and just behaves better too. A reel full of light line and 5-mil gloves is a real treat to deal with underwater.

Use cave style "line placement" on a wreck. A reel is a must on a scattered wreck, it all looks the same at first and it is very easy to get lost. In the sand: just cross under and forget about it.

Tip: Get the NSS Cavern Diving Manual and read everything about reels and line placement.

[-]If[/-] when you jam your reel just start wrapping line around it and keep working back to the tie-in.

Go slowly and work the buddy system...

Last edited:
Just a quick question. Have you practiced deploying the safety sausage at depth? If you do get blown off the anchor line during ascent you'll want to be able to shoot your smb and not wait until surfacing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can cross other's lines if you cross under all lines and run your line through the junk so that your line will stay put. Just don't overdo line placement, an easy pull in the proper direction should free the line on the way back.

[-]If[/-] when you jam your reel just start wrapping line around it and keep working back to the tie-in.

Go slowly and work the buddy system...

Agree totally, I was trying to streamline the process though for him, lol.

Oh, and if you have to wind your reel back as lowviz mentions, don't be embarrassed. You're not a NE diver if you haven't royally f'ed up your reel a few times while learning! Happens to the best of 'em, even when super experienced. Reels are a life saver and a bane of existence - it happens.

Good call viz.

Just a quick question. Have you practiced deploying the safety sausage at depth? If you do get blown off the anchor line during ascent you'll want to be able to shoot your smb and not wait until surfacing.

Yes, although it has only been in fresh water. I have practiced deploying it from 30 and 60 feet. Both while on a platform and while maintaining neutral buoyancy. I'm getting there, not super pretty, but do far so good.

Yes, although it has only been in fresh water. I have practiced deploying it from 30 and 60 feet. Both while on a platform and while maintaining neutral buoyancy. I'm getting there, not super pretty, but do far so good.

I was just checking marine forecasts, it could be a little sporty of of the Jersey coast on Saturday, with seas in the 3-5 range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom