NJ Wreck Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take this to heart! You don't need a reel at this point in your diving. with 20 dives I'm sure you are comfortable paddling around the springs, but the ocean is completely different! Pay attention to the current and where the boat is tied into the wreck. Be content to swim around the outside of the wreck.

I disagree completely. You must bring the reel in case the viz is low and you cannot make your way back to the up-line. The wrecks are all different and not all of them look like a boat. I've even been on intact wrecks that are difficult to navigate in low viz (multi-level). Bring the reel!

I disagree completely. You must bring the reel in case the viz is low and you cannot make your way back to the up-line. The wrecks are all different and not all of them look like a boat. I've even been on intact wrecks that are difficult to navigate in low viz (multi-level). Bring the reel!

Soooo, you want a brand new diver with bad vis and current and no cave/cavern/wreck training just haphazardly swimming around trailing a spool of line?

If conditions are that bad he needs to scrub the dive.

Soooo, you want a brand new diver with bad vis and current and no cave/cavern/wreck training just haphazardly swimming around trailing a spool of line?

If conditions are that bad he needs to scrub the dive.

I respectfully say you cannot have dived our wrecks/conditions. The reel is necessary. He needs to be trained, for sure, but new divers in our area must have a reel.

Plan your Dive and Dive your plan - air time, buddy position, what is your turn around pressure, how much bottom time are you going to have, do you have enough air in your cylinder for your bail out gas. Plan your exit point, survey the wreck , know where your up line is and no free ascents.

You really need advanced. :D

Study the wreck, know where the shore is, know where the 02 kit on the boat is, know what type of line comes of the boat and leads to the wreck.

What type of entry in the water from the boat are you making? How do you get back on the boat? learn to work a reel with your light deployed.

---------- Post added September 9th, 2014 at 04:19 PM ----------

Some boat captain also want to know how long is your ​dive time? Dive within your limits

My only piece of advice is to not even think about penetrating a wreck without proper training.

Thank you; I have no intention of penetrating wrecks just yet. It's on the list but I'll be waiting for more training and experience.

---------- Post added September 9th, 2014 at 06:44 PM ----------

BC and Buddy, Have you done night dives before? You are going to need Flashlights. My first dive on the Arundo was pitch black below 60ft. Conditions vary from great visibility to two foot visibility. I'm curious...Which wreck will you be diving and off which boat?

This site will give you information on local sites. Scuba Diving - New Jersey & Long Island New York - dive Wreck Valley - Dive Sites - Introduction

Tie in near the anchor line, not to it. Here is a video for line work. SCUBA: Guide Line Technique (1 of 2) on Vimeo

I do suggest taking a wreck course locally. I personally recommend the The Scuba Connection.

Say safe!

Thank you. I have done a couple night dives. I have a primary light with a hand mount, and a backup light on my harness. I'm hoping not to need it too much on the dive this Saturday, but I'm comfortable with them if necessary.

---------- Post added September 9th, 2014 at 06:45 PM ----------

I currently crew with a NJ boat so I should say I am pretty happy you are posting this.

1) It sounds as if you are nicely prepared. I would always add a bag for the more experienced divers since you can never know what you may find/catch. At some point, you'll need to decide what kind of wreck diver you are (artifact, spear, bug, photo, tour).
2) check the tide and weather before the date. It's always nice to be prepared for the waves with bonine or some other seasickness remedy.
3) Check on the boards for news about your particular area/site. I was out last weekend off PP and can tell you the temp and viz. Some other divers could have gone to the exact wreck you are planning and can tell you overall conditions.
4) Do your homework. Find a map of the dive site online and study it. Ask the captain/crew exactly where you will be tied in and detail a plan BEFORE getting into the water. Know your visual references beforehand.
5) No Light? get one and bring one. Actually, bring two (primary and backup)
6) Be courteous and listen to the crew/captain when you get on board. Bring snacks if you feel like it.
7) Be prepared to tip. I know I may get flamed for it but I crew on a boat and I appreciate the passengers tipping for my service which includes my preparation for their safety. $20 is a good tip on a typical NJ boat trip.

Anything else, PM me for more info.

Thank you very much for the very thoughtful and thought out post. That was the type of information that I was looking for. PM Sent!

---------- Post added September 9th, 2014 at 06:46 PM ----------

Seasickness is not to be taken lightly. Go prepared.

Doubt that you will be on an inshore wreck that can be penetrated. Almost nothing new down there since radar, most (but not all) resemble collapsed piles of rubble. The exceptions to that are the reefed ships. Some, like the Algol, can be spectacular. Have fun!

Thanks for this. I have gotten sick on a fishing boat before. It doesn't happen to me often, but when it does there is just something terrible about it until the feet make it back to the dock. I will pre-medicate just in case.

---------- Post added September 9th, 2014 at 06:48 PM ----------

Take this to heart! You don't need a reel at this point in your diving. with 20 dives I'm sure you are comfortable paddling around the springs, but the ocean is completely different! Pay attention to the current and where the boat is tied into the wreck. Be content to swim around the outside of the wreck.

Yes, I have no intention to penetrate a wreck. It is my understanding that most of the wrecks off NJ are piles and not full ships. That being said, I WILL be brining a reel to guide me back to the anchor line. I have been practicing in fresh water, and feel, based on dive op recommendations, that a reel is best to have. Yes, I am comfortable paddling around the springs, but there is only one way to get ocean experience right? I'm just trying to put my training to use.

---------- Post added September 9th, 2014 at 06:54 PM ----------

You really need advanced. :D

I am working on advanced, but I am an SSI open water diver. I have been training, but do not yet have the required 24 dives for issuance of the card. These are two dives going towards my required 24. I understand that I could have taken a weekend course and gotten a fresh, ink-still-wet AOW, but I don't feel that pushing for that end and having a log book with 10 dives is the smart thing to do. When I am issued my AOW, I hope to have a log book with a good mix of fresh water & saltwater dives, at varying depths and conditions. I have been working on my SMB work, buoyancy control, and communications, and have been researching and talking to various people for tips and advice.

Thank you all for the responses, especially those who provided substantive responses with tips and tricks, including those that PM'd me. I apologize for not including the wreck reel and lights in the first post. I have been night diving and working a reel for a little bit now, and will have both on me for the dive.

Any other tips would still be greatly appreciated!

I have found in NJ if you bring the lights and the reel - you will almost guarantee you wont end up using them. However if you leave them on the boat - you will most likely wish you had brought them.
Last point - less is more - only bring what you think you will use on your first dive (don't bring the kitchen sink and keep it tight). Too many dangler's can get caught when you least expect it - especially if you are doing the Jersey Roll. I snapped a regulator that was not properly stowed... Don't be that guy... Take your time and double check your equipment.

And Have Fun.

I have to say that there is some good advice here, the only thing I would add is to enjoy yourself but try to keep close with other more experienced divers. Remember that the best way to gain experience is to watch other more experienced divers underwater and do not venture into areas above your training.

I've been watching this thread, and I must say I'm totally impressed that such a new diver is prepared to dive a NJ wreck--and he indeed seems to be. You guys get some good training up there!

Be prepared for anything. There's a reason the NYNJ dive scene has a colorful history and inspires heated debate (re fire vs taj). There are some hard and fast rules, but you'll learn for yourself what works over time. Keep your expectation realistic however. Don't be a Zero to Hero diver (which seems like you're not) but take the concept of progressive penetration and adapt it. For your first dive, take a slow descent, keep your eyes open.

Study the Carolina rig as you're making your way down the line. I've seen many novice divers come back up the line all the way to where the bow is tied in. A Carolina rig separates from the anchor line and runs under the boat to the stern at about 15ft depth. Pay attention to this as you're making your way down initially.

Study the area that you're tied into on the bottom. Either you or buddy need to run a line (keep it tight - lines with excess slack WILL kink and tangle in your reel). If that happens, don't panic - remain calm. Don't fix it underwater. Try not to cross other lines or leave yours suspended high in the water.

If you're on a wreck with decent relief (it rises off the bottom a good bit) if there's current, find the side of the ship opposite the current and stay on that side. If it's really bad, don't stray too far from the anchor, and do whatever you can to get back to the anchor line for ascent. Strong Current plus Free Ascent will ruin your day (and potentially night as well) as you float around the Atlantic waiting for the boat to find you.

Not trying to scare you - but being realistic. This is a really, really incredible region for diving - if you're prepared, knowledgeable and competent. This is a place where complacency has and does kill.

And for everyone's enjoyment, here's a video someone took on a boat in August. Notice the guy in the lower-right hand corner... It was his first NorthEast dive (had only dove in Hawaii) and was not prepared for the weather. Granted, it was raining crabs and lobsters and the waves were big (we had to pull after the first dive cause it was too rough to put more divers in).

https://phillybobspics.shutterfly.com/pictures/1859

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom