NJ/NY Wreck Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Report 6/12

We were treated to a gorgeous day on the North Atlantic with air temps in the 70's and flat seas. The Diversion II hooked into the wreck of the Pinta for two dives. Depth to sand was 85' with the bottom temp at 49 F. Viz was 15'-20'. The Pinta is a great wreck. A few sea bass were speared and about 4 lobsters came up over 2 dives. The wreck seems well picked over for lobster with all the dive boats that hit it. I had a nice nap on the way back to the dock :)

Marc

Went out on Sea Hawk from Freeport. As previously reported, the seas were fairly calm. We ventured out to the G&D, which is actually the Yankee. (but that's another story).
Vis was in the 40 foot range, 41 deg bottom temps. Couple of short lobsters seen, and then there are the big ones in the boilers. Unfortuately they sit just far enough back that there is no way you can get them. But that did not stop me from trying.
Several large Monk fish were spotted in addition to the usual ling, and sea bass.
After giving up the search for bugs, ventured out into the sand and collected scallops.
So far despite lack of bugs, was one of the best days this season.

I guess I posted this in the wrong spot originally

We had a great dive on the Spring Tide this Sunday thanks to Captain Ron and John the mate. We dove the wreck of the Arundo about an hour and a half out of Brielle. We were underway by 6:45 the boat was easy to find but harder to load than the Tuna Seizure. The weather perfect but the water was a little rough (not alot just a little) maybe 1' to 3 '.

The Spring Tide is a nicer boat than the web page would lead you to believe. It was comfortable for 6 divers (8 including Ron & John)

We hooked the wreck quickly and we were able to splash in as soon as people got geared up.

The wreck was huge and the depth where we hooked it was about 125' deep, vis was about 20' to 30' and I think I heard the temp was about 44.

Once on the wreck it was easy to make out several large truck tires and whole trucks. I ran a 150' wreck reel out to the end and never found any thing cool to pick up and never was really able to identify any parts of the wreck just a vast debris field. This may have been my own fault as I kept my mask in the mud looking for relics and never hovered far enough above the wreck to try to see the big picture. One of our group found a really nice pair of brass binoculars. several divers also got bugs, maybe 4 or 5 for the boat.

Before going in my buddy Jim and I had dropped a deco hang bottle with two regs down to about 20'. We did this mostly because I was Planning on doing both my dives using my twin 100 HP's and I thought that I would rather not use the air in my tanks for deco on the first dive. Several other divers dropped gear lines as well.

While doing our deco hang after the first dive we looked down and saw about 6 or 7 sharks circling below us. They were 3' to 4' and they kept striking and sniffing at the weights at the end of the gear lines. After we got back in the boat another returning diver then told us he saw the sharks sniffing around our hang bottle, especially my yellow hose and yellow trimmed reg. I already give leisure pro enough business so I brought up the hang bottle.

We all took about a two hour surface interval and most of us did a second dive, still no relic. We were back in the the marina by 3:45pm.

Great dive, great weather, great boat, Thanks Ron & John

The Scuba Connection chartered THE OUTLAW diveboat out of Belmar. Plans to go the Mohawk were scrapped when we found there were already two boats on this wreck, including a dive boat. We ended up going to the Hankins and then to the Dykes.

Seas were FLAT! I mean LAKE flat!
Current was ZERO! I mean hover hanging ZERO!
Temps were in the mid 40's on the bottom.

Hankins viz was 10 feet on the line but opened up to 30 feet on the wreck. Max depth was 77'. Lots of black sea bass and a 3 pound lobster brought up. Dogfish (small sharks) were swimming around Wes as he was bringing up a full bag.

Dykes viz was 5-7 feet on the line but opened up to 40 feet on the wreck. Max depth was 63'. HUGE black sea bass and Black fish on the bow and stern of this wreck. The ribs in the wreck made for an interesting hunting experience as Frank, Scott and I tried our best to fill out bags. I shot my first big black fish which Scott had to help me bag. Came up to find a 2 foot chop and a moderate wind. I'd definately do this wreck again and this time head right for the bow or stern instead of wasting time and air in the mid-section.

It was an awsome weekend for NJ diving! All that was missing was Capt. Bob Nash!

Happy Father's Day!
For Father's day, Long Island Scuba ran a charter on the dive boat Sea Hawk out of Freeport, LI, NY.
The original plan was to do a wreck due south of the inlet, but winds that started Saturday night and still blew a bit out of the north prevented us from venturing in that direction.
An alternative site of the RC Mohawk was chosen. It is protected on the west by NJ, and is not that far south to be out of the protection of Long Island.
The water had warmed up compared to previous weeks. Visability was in the 20 foot range. The sea flattened out after the first dive. And the sun was shining all day.
One of the divers realized as we were leaving the dock that he had forgotten to pack his dry suit. Luckly he is about my size. so as soon as I surfaced from my first dive, I removed my suit and he donned it. He did an extensive single dive which gave me a 3 1/4 hour surface interval.
Several bottles were recovered and all had an excelllent time. On the return trip, the crew electrified the grill and hot dogs and sausage made for a tasty finish for the day.

Saturday we hit the Stolt for a pair of dives. Vis was 25' or so.....

Saturday evening we hit the Cadet for a single dive. 20' of vis and 46F were encountered on the bottom.

Sunday we hit the Mohawk for a pair of dives. 46F on the bottom with around 25' of vis...

Sorry the report is not as detailed as in past week, but I wasn't on the boat Saturday day and (while on the boat Sunday) I did not dive after injuring my leg the night before. Hopefully, I'll have a better report next week.

Brian, what happened to your leg?

SueMermaid:
Brian, what happened to your leg?

Climbed up the t-ladder haphazardly after getting everybody on board (I was just wearing my drysuit)....foot slipped off the last step and raked my leg across a stainless steel bracket from my knee to mid shin...needless to say it hurt....

most people on the boat thought I hurt my you-know-whats....I guess I'm luck they water was really cold, if ya know what I mean...still sore as of today, but I'll be back out on Saturday

Oh, ow. Ow. Ow.
Well, glad to hear your you-know-whats are okay.

SueMermaid:
Oh, ow. Ow. Ow.
Well, glad to hear your you-know-whats are okay.

Thanks. They are at home with me....resting comfortably

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom