NJ/NY Wreck Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the water has warmed up a little bit. Besides I'm diving the Pinta which only goes to 90'. I don't care if I get cold down there. I want to go diving :) WITH the wet suit.

Dive report next week.

Saturday we headed out to the Arundo in 3-4' seas. Once tied in, we found 30'+ visibility! A few lobster and fish were caught. Bottom temp was 41F, but warmed up to 57 on the surface. There were even several dogfish keeping us company on the hang line. We did a quick dive on the Beth Dee Bob on the way back in for some mussels that will no doubt be served at a Memorial Day BBQ.

Sunday we stayed inshore and hit the Middle Barge. Seas were calm. Vis was 15-20' and there were lots of bugs...with the exception of two I caught, the rest were too small, had eggs or out of reach. Bottom temp was 47-50F depending who you asked. On our way to the 2nd wreck, we saw a huge pod of dolphin. Next we hit the Cadet. Bottom temp was about the the same, but vis was maybe 10'-15'. On my way down to free the hook, I ran into another couple of dogfish. Very few lobster but a decent amount of fish on the bottom.

Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:58 pm Post subject: 5/29 Dive Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went out on the Spring Tide out of Brielle, NJ on Saturday 5/29. We were met by clear skies and a sunny day. Our destination was originally the Pinta, but after some difficulty finding this wreck we settled on a tug boat on the Sea Girt Artificial Reef. Viz was pretty good 20-25' with bottom temp at 51 degrees F and depth to the sand was 70' The wreck was teeming with fish and one diver speared two Sea Bass. We did two dives on this tug. A good start to the local dive season for me and I can't wait to get out there again. SeaCobra from this board was on the boat and did some diving as well. He knows his stuff!

nyresq:
On the Oregon, at 120' my nitek had 38 degrees, some of the suuntos and Uwatecs had as low as 34.... no one was diving wet... it just hurts to think about it.... my butt was freezing in a drysuit with two layers...

34 degrees, I would be freezing my butt off too.

Marcos:
Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 4:58 pm Post subject: 5/29 Dive Report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went out on the Spring Tide out of Brielle, NJ on Saturday 5/29. We were met by clear skies and a sunny day. Our destination was originally the Pinta, but after some difficulty finding this wreck we settled on a tug boat on the Sea Girt Artificial Reef. Viz was pretty good 20-25' with bottom temp at 51 degrees F and depth to the sand was 70' The wreck was teeming with fish and one diver speared two Sea Bass. We did two dives on this tug. A good start to the local dive season for me and I can't wait to get out there again. SeaCobra from this board was on the boat and did some diving as well. He knows his stuff!

Yes is was a good day, I thought is funny when you guys busted our chops for not leaving the marina sooner and then we passed you on our way to the Pinta Saturday.

How did you make out in your wet suit? I hope you stayed warm.

To celebrate Memorial Day, went to the local war memorial, the USS SanDiego on the Eagles Nest . Its in about 110 ft. it is upside down, The tie in point is about 75 ft. At the bottom of the line, it didn't seem to have been that cold, but when you dropped over the side to the bottom, the temperature seemed like it dropped about 15 deg. The bottom temp was about 39 deg. A wopping one deg warmer than last week. This wreck is starting to deteriorate quite a bit.
The visability was about 30-40 ft.
We tied in on what is called the bilge keel, its on the starboard side (but on the pix it would be on the left), about a third of the way from the bow. First dive went up to the bow, and around to the port side where there are two anchors still in place. Second dive, went toward the stern
Because it is considered some sort of "historical" site and supposedly still owned by the Navy, you are not allowed to take any artifacts from it. Bugs however are not artifacts. I only found one, but it didn't measure up, so it remained on the bottom.
Toward the end of the day, the sea started to pick up a bit, but not too bad, but then, I slept most of the way home

NEWreckDiver:
Yes is was a good day, I thought is funny when you guys busted our chops for not leaving the marina sooner and then we passed you on our way to the Pinta Saturday.

How did you make out in your wet suit? I hope you stayed warm.

That is too funny. As a matter of fact, I was the guy who yelled if you guys were waiting for high tide when we were pulling out. I didn't see you guys pass us, but you sure did beat us to the Pinta. That was our destination too, but I think our Captain had bum #s for the wreck. We searched the bottom for an hour to no avail, then looked and saw you guys and another boat and we figured you guys were on the Pinta. We headed back in some and dove on a tug on the Sea Girt Reef. Depth to sand was only 70 fsw and the bottom temp was 51 F so I faired well in my wet suit. I really need to buy a dry suit to handle the current bottom temps on the off shore wrecks though. I may have to suck it up until next season because of my exhausted scuba budget.

Next time I won't let out any wise cracks and maybe we'll get to the wreck first!

Marcos:
That is too funny. As a matter of fact, I was the guy who yelled if you guys were waiting for high tide when we were pulling out. I didn't see you guys pass us, but you sure did beat us to the Pinta. That was our destination too, but I think our Captain had bum #s for the wreck. We searched the bottom for an hour to no avail, then looked and saw you guys and another boat and we figured you guys were on the Pinta. We headed back in some and dove on a tug on the Sea Girt Reef. Depth to sand was only 70 fsw and the bottom temp was 51 F so I faired well in my wet suit. I really need to buy a dry suit to handle the current bottom temps on the off shore wrecks though. I may have to suck it up until next season because of my exhausted scuba budget.

Next time I won't let out any wise cracks and maybe we'll get to the wreck first!

You just need to be on a boat that can run 22+ knots.

Marcos:
. I really need to buy a dry suit to handle the current bottom temps on the off shore wrecks though. I may have to suck it up until next season because of my exhausted scuba budget.

!

I have been saying that when I first got started I spent about $1000 for gear and thought I had it all.

Trouble is its been $1000 a year ever since.

Always something new, or better or lost.

Saturday 6/12

We headed out to the Stolt for the day. We stayed for two dives and had visibility in the 30'-40' range. Bottom temperature was still 41F. Surface temperature was 61F. A couple lobster and a bunch of scallops came up. Plenty of winter flounder around the wreck, but no fluke. Kinda funny how all of the winter flounder come out now that the season has ended.

Sunday 6/13 AM

We headed back out to the parking lot, but hit the Algol this time for a pair of dives. Water temps were the same as the day before. Visibility was probably about 25'. A few lobster sighted, but I don't think any (legal ones) made it back up on the boat.

As a side note...there were a few divers on the 2nd dive that probably had to check their drysuits when they got back on board (if you know what I mean). While they were diving we watched a tugboat approach with a barge loaded with rocks and proceed to dump them about 1/2 mile away. Needless to say, the sound of the rocks hitting the bottom was deafening!

Sunday 6/13 PM

Well the weather started getting rough...well you know the song goes. For the afternoon trip, we made it as far as the tugboat Colleen. Bottom temperature was about 47F, while the surface was 64F. Visibility was 20-25'. Almost everybody made it in for the first dive, but less than 1/2 made it in for the 2nd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom