NJ/NY Wreck Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5/22 headed out on the wreck valley (with deep lou on board) to the oregon. fog was thick all day with the surface vis about 100 yards on perfectly calm seas... was kind of spooky, it seemed like we were on a calm lake, not ten miles out in the atlantic. temp on the bottom was between 34 and 38 depending on who's computer you looked at. the vis was incredible on the bottom with 50 feet common. We tied in on the bow winches (which could be seen halfway down the line) and had a awsome day of diving. With the extreme cold most were running bottom times of 20-30 mins, more then that and hands and fingers started to hurt. Bottles were found (10) by Capts Dan, ED and mate Jimmy. Some real beautiful ones with nice colors and raised lettering. All had a good day and the conditions could not have been better (cept 20 degrees warmer maybe).

nyresq:
5/22 headed out on the wreck valley (with deep lou on board) to the oregon. fog was thick all day with the surface vis about 100 yards on perfectly calm seas... was kind of spooky, it seemed like we were on a calm lake, not ten miles out in the atlantic. temp on the bottom was between 34 and 38 depending on who's computer you looked at. the vis was incredible on the bottom with 50 feet common. We tied in on the bow winches (which could be seen halfway down the line) and had a awsome day of diving. With the extreme cold most were running bottom times of 20-30 mins, more then that and hands and fingers started to hurt. Bottles were found (10) by Capts Dan, ED and mate Jimmy. Some real beautiful ones with nice colors and raised lettering. All had a good day and the conditions could not have been better (cept 20 degrees warmer maybe).

YOu left out my bugs. 3 for the day.

3 Bugs? What's your secret? :eek:) I'm going out this saturday to dive the Pinta, I'd be happy with one bug (if he's big :wink:

Marcos:
3 Bugs? What's your secret? :eek:) I'm going out this saturday to dive the Pinta, I'd be happy with one bug (if he's big :wink:

What boat are you going to be on?

NEWreckDiver:
What boat are you going to be on?
I'm going out on the Spring Tide (Brielle, NJ) on Saturday 5/29, are you going to be on that boat? It's supposed to be a nice day, I just hope I don't freeze my ass off in my wet suit!

3 Bugs? What's your secret?

No secret, but its been couple of years I been trying. Last year I was lucky to get one per trip. This year, first trip was zero, but it was the Iberia which usually doesn't have any anyway. Next trip to the "Happy Days" got 4. But this was great wreck and hadn't been hit yet by any other boat.

Marcos: U gonna freeze u Ass off in your wet suit. If you are lucky you will have bottom temps in low 40's. Don't forget to bring your hot water bottle!

Marcos:
I'm going out on the Spring Tide (Brielle, NJ) on Saturday 5/29, are you going to be on that boat? It's supposed to be a nice day, I just hope I don't freeze my ass off in my wet suit!

If you are diving WET, then yes, you will freeze your ass off. Two weeks ago, it was 41 degrees on the bottom.

I may be out there on a different boat. Good Luck and Dive Safe.

Marcos:
Greetings fellow wreckers,
Do any of you have any recent trip reports from wreck dives in the North Atlantic? I'm not going to doing my first NJ wreck dive until mid June because I'm still diving wet. I would love to hear some of your adventures plus what conditions are like out there Thanks!
Marc
I went out this past Sunday (May 16th) on the Tuna Seazure and had a great day.

My buddy Jim and I met the boat at about 6:30. The Great Bay Marina was easy to find and not a bad drive maybe 25 min. off of the AC expressway. You can back your truck right up to the boat, maybe 10' from the stern and loading gear was easy... Everybody helped and it went real quick. The D.M. (Dive Master) quickly introduced himself to everyone as Dan Martinez and offered up donuts. There were 5 customers, two captains (one was Bill and I forgot the other guys name) We quickly got underway to escape the bugs, that boat can move. Bill was telling me he has two new John Deere turbo diesels that can push the boat at 30 knots (if he wanted)

The water was glass smooth like Dutch on a calm day, the temp was nice I guess about 78. we took about an hour to get 10 miles out (not a straight line). and anchored over an old clam dredge called the John Marvin. It was very intact sitting upright in about 70' of water.
Vis was good about 20' and water temp was about 42. I was able to penetrate two compartments into the wreck until I got tired of snagging on the cables. I spent the rest of the time exploring the hatches and portholes on this 3 deck moderately encrusted ship.

Both the captains dove (not at the same time) and brought up some brass covers for a pipe the size of dinner plates. Someone brought up a light bulb cage as well. Most of the divers on the boat were interested in spearing fish and they got tons... well within limits i'm sure. one guy got a lobster.

The captains and mate were great at helping get you into and out of the water quickly, The "T" ladder made it very easy to get out no matter how much gear or fish you had.

We were out of the marina at about 7:00, over the wreck by around 8:00, we dove the wreck twice and I think we got back by noon. The boat had plenty of room below deck to crash after dive. I fell asleep in the "V" berth other guys slept on the sofa in the galley.

When I was loading my gear I discovered that my doubles I was planning on using were empty even though I had them filled at Dutch the previous afternoon. because of this I was rushing at the last minute to bring my 2 single 120s on the boat and take my doubles off.... "No problem they don't care how many tanks you bring just leave them"...

Also I forgot (until I splashed in) that I loaded weight for doubles and failed to bring additional weight when I switched to my 120s.... No problem need extra weights... we got them... Thanks Captain.

I guess it could have been a better dive boat, better crew, better weather.... but I can't see how.

NEWreckDiver:
If you are diving WET, then yes, you will freeze your ass off. Two weeks ago, it was 41 degrees on the bottom.

On the Oregon, at 120' my nitek had 38 degrees, some of the suuntos and Uwatecs had as low as 34.... no one was diving wet... it just hurts to think about it.... my butt was freezing in a drysuit with two layers...

Back
Top Bottom