NJ Diving & NITROX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

split0101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just recently got Nitrox certified, me and a few buddies of mine were discussing the benefits of using Nitrox here in NJ. We took a look at some of the most common wrecks that people dive here in NJ (Algol, Stolt Dagali, etc), and it seems a lot of wrecks are around 130ft or so. At these depths it seems EANx32 would be pushing the limits.

So my question is; do most of you NJ divers dive Nitrox here in NJ/NY area? If you do, what kind of mix do you usually dive?

most people i know keep their tanks filled with 28% which at a ppo2 of 1.4 is good for all the deeper wrecks you mentioned. it's also good for the more shallow wrecks, just not the best mix. most wont even fill their tanks with 32% or 36% for the shallow wrecks cause there's a good chance you'll get blown out and then find yourself draining and topping off to 28% for the next weeks deeper dive.

Thats what I thought. I guess you could go even leaner on the mix to lets say 26% at ppO2 of 1.4 will give you a MOD of 145ft for a greater margin of safety. At that point thought I start loosing the main benefit of diving EAN since my NDL's will decrease.

So I guess in my case Im not going to bother getting my tank O2 clean since it seems a lot of my diving here is going to be regular air.

28% nitrox is a very popular mix here in NJ and also in NY. That's what I use for most of the deeper wrecks.

Dude 180 on air with EAN 40 for deco safety stops....didn't they tell you in Nitrox Class Narc'd is a good thing...:D...Just pulling your chain but EAN 28 is about the best all around mix for the depths you are looking at. You may want to look into some shallower wrecks til you get a few more dives under your belt. Just my $0.02

Hrmm so 28% is a popular mix then. Maybe I'll have to consider getting my tank O2 cleaned then. I'll have to run 28% through my computer to do some dive planning to check it out. I have 23 dives under my belt with 4 of them being dives to 100ft so I feel I have enough experience to get to some of the wrecks that I would like to see. Once I build up my confience/experience level I'll definitly be hitting up those deeper wrecks.

If I know AHEAD of time that we're going shallow, I will fill with Nitrox 30%. Most of the times though, I keep 28%.

split0101:
Hrmm so 28% is a popular mix then. Maybe I'll have to consider getting my tank O2 cleaned then. I'll have to run 28% through my computer to do some dive planning to check it out. I have 23 dives under my belt with 4 of them being dives to 100ft so I feel I have enough experience to get to some of the wrecks that I would like to see. Once I build up my confience/experience level I'll definitly be hitting up those deeper wrecks.

How long have you been certified? A whole lot of people dive air (its free when you buy your tanks at most shops) and deco on a mix...sometimes as high as 70-80%.

for a dive to 130ft use eanx28 this will give you a mod of 40meters-pp02 1.4 or 47meters with pp02 -1.6ata which i have used many times b4 it also leaves some room for minor depth errors.

split0101:
Thats what I thought. I guess you could go even leaner on the mix to lets say 26% at ppO2 of 1.4 will give you a MOD of 145ft for a greater margin of safety. At that point thought I start loosing the main benefit of diving EAN since my NDL's will decrease.

So I guess in my case Im not going to bother getting my tank O2 clean since it seems a lot of my diving here is going to be regular air.

Where will you be getting your fills done? If they have banked 28%, then you don't need the tank O2 cleaned. O2 cleaning is only necessary for PPB. Check with your shop before you spend the money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom