NJ Diving & NITROX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

split0101:
So my question is; do most of you NJ divers dive Nitrox here in NJ/NY area? If you do, what kind of mix do you usually dive?

Depends on what you dive and what you plan to dive.

I tend to dive 32-34% because it's got a fine MOD for the stuff I dive most often currently. I will for sure at some point dive deeper stuff, but the stuff I'm doing now is around 90' or so max, so keeping my tanks filled at 28% "just in case" doesn't make sense for me at this time.

Depending on the boat you're on, and who you're diving with, it's highly unlikely that you'll plan to hit a wreck that's sitting at 80', get blown off it, and have the captain decide to hit the Stolt at 130 instead.

:)

RJP:
. . . . . . .
Depending on the boat you're on, and who you're diving with, it's highly unlikely that you'll plan to hit a wreck that's sitting at 80', get blown off it, and have the captain decide to hit the Stolt at 130 instead.

:)
Maybe not, but what does happen is that the Capt. might plan an 80' inshore wreck and then the mate goes down to tie in only to find the viz is crap. Or you get to the inshore destination only to find a fishing boat or another dive boat already there. The Capt. might then very well decide to do something offshore like the Stolt. This happens kinda often, so that's why I'm saying that 28% is the best mix for our diving. Then again, like you said "depending on the boat you're on", ie: the Sea Lion, if Capt. Al says he's going to an inshore wreck, then you're staying inshore. In that case I'll load up on the PPO. His is about the only boat I'll do that with. Just my 2c. YMMV

francousteau:
Then again, like you said "depending on the boat you're on", ie: the Sea Lion, if Capt. Al says he's going to an inshore wreck, then you're staying inshore.

Yup. My admittedly limited experience tells me that if you're a boat captain running a charter to a planned wreck at 80' with a boat full of passengers that planned to dive to 80' and are geared, configured, and TRAINED/EXPERIENCED to dive to 80' that you'll have a hard time shifting plans from a clammer at 80' to a warship at 130ft.

Yeah you might get blown off the first clammer you planned for, but the captain should more than likely switch off to a similar wreck based on his judgement and the dive objectives of the folks on board.

Heck, even if everyone on the boat has gas good to 130' if everyone is diving singles within NDL, you're looking at some really short dives at 130'

Again, if you've got a boat full of folks diving doubles planning for deco, etc that's different, but for typical rec divers, an extra 50' of planned depth presents a lot more challenges than just "what mix am I filled with."

RJP:
Heck, even if everyone on the boat has gas good to 130' if everyone is diving singles within NDL, you're looking at some really short dives at 130'

Again, if you've got a boat full of folks diving doubles planning for deco, etc that's different, but for typical rec divers, an extra 50' of planned depth presents a lot more challenges than just "what mix am I filled with."
I hear ya! As long as the wreck can be dived "multi level", I don't see any real issues going to a spot where the sand is 130fsw. If there's no relief, that's a problem for some, for sure. My point is that moving from the intended inshore spot does happen and you can move offshore to a spot like the "Stolt" or "Algol" that has relief and can be dived by all experience levels. In this scenario, the real issue is "what mix am I filled with". That's why I advocate being prepared for contingency plans and have a mix that's flexible.

I have to agree with Frank.........
I dive air, all the time...primarily for flexibility.
I think the 28% allows for the most flexibility.
I confirm Frank's assertation that it is a very common occurance for dive boat capt's to consider moving because of bottom conditions. I think what Frank was trying to say was........why be the one (with the rich mix) to curtail "possible" other locations.
Lastly, The Stolt and Algol have alot of relief and certainly divable for all levels of certified divers.........I would rather see a diver with limited experience dive a wreck where they can see more and are less likely to have a bad experience....than dive an in-shore wreck with very bad vis. Anyway just my opinion.

Dive safe - Dive often

Wed 6pm Twilight Dive Sea Girt Reef
Friday 8am 3 to 4 Tank Dive Bring 28% Max
Sat 7am 2 Tanks Stolt Area Bring 28 Max
Sat 6:00pm Pennsylvania Special aka Saturday Night Live Dive 2 Tanks
Sun 7am 2 Tanks Local Grocery Dive
Sun 3pm 2 Tanks Call John Kirkland for availability 609-306-4929
Please Call Captain Henrik to make your reservations and note our website home page for some new requirements for the boat.
917-836-5354

If you'll notice the Capt of the Stingray is suggesting 28%

I am diving 28% for the first time in NJ this friday. Does anyone know a shop that banks 28% in the Philly area?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom