Nitrox: Should I be worried?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

twistypencil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I recently did the course work and became Nitrox "Certified", but haven't yet used a tank. Now I'm in Cozumel, doing a week's worth of diving and the outfit I'm with said they have nitrox available, if I want it for $10 more. I'm interested in trying it, but I don't think that I will be able to analyze the air in the tank. I just arrive at the marina, jump on the boat, and they setup my gear, attach the tanks, etc.

My PADI Nitrox course made me scared enough about using enriched air if I cannot check the gas myself, and a buddy back home tells me the guy who runs one of the LDS' had his brother die from bad air in Mexico...

am I being unreasonably paranoid?

I was just skimming through and found your post. I am very new to this site. But from my personal standpoint I am nitrox certified and I always er on the side of caution do to the industry that I work in and I take that same approach to diving. I always make sure to check my tank after a nitrox fill and would advise the same.

I always analyze my own tanks. I think you are being prudent. Owning my own analyzer solves this problem.

I have no doubt that some operators get in the habit of assuming their divers are okay with assuming the mix is correct.
I also think you are totally correct and justified in not following that plan. Ask them where the analyzer for diver use is, and where in the process you can utilize it.
You may get some resistance, but probably not outright denial.

I was very surprised a few years ago when Captain Don's in Bonaire expected me to take their word for it on the mix. They looked at me like I had two heads when I stepped up to test my cylinders, but did not refuse to allow it. And, the mixes were NOT as labelled. Not wildly off, but enough to set a different mix on my dive computer.

I recently did the course work and became Nitrox "Certified", but haven't yet used a tank. Now I'm in Cozumel, doing a week's worth of diving and the outfit I'm with said they have nitrox available, if I want it for $10 more. I'm interested in trying it, but I don't think that I will be able to analyze the air in the tank. I just arrive at the marina, jump on the boat, and they setup my gear, attach the tanks, etc.

My PADI Nitrox course made me scared enough about using enriched air if I cannot check the gas myself, and a buddy back home tells me the guy who runs one of the LDS' had his brother die from bad air in Mexico...

Yes, you’re being paranoid. Bad air can happen on just regular air. Smell the air when you pre-breathe your reg. Does it smell weird? Ask for another tank.

As for nitrox, check to see ahead of time if there’s an analyzer on the boat. If not, dive regular air.

Reactions: Doc
Who are you diving with. All ops that offer nitrox should (and I *think* most do) have an analyzer available on board the boat. You can ask them to show you how to use it or just watch them and see the reading.

The boat should absolutely have a testing tool for you to use - 32 and 36 are common there but 36 can get mislabeled 32 - I've never seen it but it's possible.

With the folks we dive with, it's common to test your tank as they are setting your gear up. With that said, being a DM in training for one shop, we always tested tanks before we put them on the boat but customers rarely asked us to test - you shouldn't just trust it and the boat shouldn't be offended you asked either........

I'd probably not trust most of the dive shop workers I know to get it right without having checked it myself.

I don't think there will be many in here who will suggest not checking it yourself. But if push came to shove some might consider it (depending who filled it). For example I don't have nitrox setup on my compressor yet and often borrow a tank from my buddy with 32% or so. I still don't like doing it, but it's not bad enough that I'm worried, every tank is analysed individually.

In your situation I would be sure to check it yourself.

This is a "Trust but Verify" situation. And not just with the O2 mix.

* I should be able to trust that the operator provides a tank with 3000 PSI (or whatever full is) but you need to verify that with your pressure gauge before you jump in the water. Short or even empty tanks get delivered all the time.

* If you see the operator diligently measuring and labeling tanks with the O2 mix, then it's likely to good to trust that number. If you see no evidence that anyone has actual awareness of the mixes, then you need to measure it yourself.

If you can't measure I would still Pay for the Nitrox, but set your computer to an Air Mix and just know that you are Probably getting a better safety buffer. Worst case you are out 10 bucks and no damage done.

TP...

As has already been stated...you always want to self check your mix...or at the very least...personally...visually watch while your tank is being analyzed by a qualified fill station attendant if you are unfamiliar with the specific analyzer being used...most of the current hand held units operate on the same principle...make sure they're calibrated prior to analyzing your mix...

A NITROX fill with desired 32% for a MOD of 111.3 ft is deadly if accidently filled with 50% and an MOD of only 59.4 ft...the only way to be sure is to analyze the mix...

I have my own AI Palm...part of my kit...always with me...small...not expensive/check DGX...calibrates in air...

Best...

Warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom