Nitrox: Should I be worried?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TP...
I have my own AI Palm...part of my kit...always with me...small...not expensive/check DGX...calibrates in air...

Thanks for the suggestion, indeed the AI Palm is a good price and very small, I might get one! However, this part makes me pause, "Sensor life up to 36 months for average personal use" -- does that mean it will only last for 36 months, and then I need to buy a whole new one?

no just the sensor , o2 sensors usually don't last 3 years co ones do

While diving foul/off odor gas is certainly a bad idea, smelling gas is not a very reliable test for bad gas! CO is odorless and potentially lethal at depth at relatively low concentrations

In my experience it is a very good test for bad gas, however it is not a test for CO. There is more than one way to injure or kill one.

Bob

The only times I've used Nitrox I observed them testing it at the shop before they handed the tanks to me. I don't own an analyzer since I don't often dive Nitrox. If you can't test it yourself or observe the testing don't dive it.
One interesting thought I've always had is if the bottom isn't deeper than the depth allowed by your particular mix at 1.4 PPO (ie 110' on 32%), you're pretty safe from oxygen toxicity. Won't work if you are into Wall diving, etc.

There is NO way I would go diving with a new operation and not bring my own means to test my gas.

In most areas, we are now at a point where testing the contents of your tank should be required for all dives. It’s just too darn easy for a mix up to occur.

Just diving air/ 21% ? ....are you sure?

I've read an account of a DM who had to unhook the boat at 100 feet. He grabbed a bottle that was assumed to be air/nitrox as it was unlabeled. It turned out to be O2. He made it back up, but suffered convulsions on his ascent. How was able to do that is beyond me.

I'd never breath any gas that I had not measured myself or seen filled with air in front of me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom